Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,958   Posts: 1,558,083   Online: 1094

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 182223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About ten years ago I remember seeing Tri-X at the local drugstore. There must have been three lonely packages that sat there forever and a day until they stopped selling film. I was shooting Agfa, so didn't purchase Tri-X.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was still seeing Tri-X in CVS near me in western PA a couple of years ago. I might even have bought a box or two just to let them know someone still used it. I don't shoot that much 35mm anymore and just buy it online when I buy my MF and LF stuff. I haven't lived near a "real" photo store since leaving MA in 2007, though. Back there and then, I could go into Newtonville Photo and get whatever I needed (any size + paper and chemistry).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Nah, probably just not old enough. I used to buy Tri-X and Plus-X at department stored and pharmacies in the 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. I used to be able to buy Tri-X and Plus-X at virtually any store that had film. That was a long time ago.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As I mentioned I still see Tri-X at CVS/Walgreen/Rite Aide, just gotta go to the ghetto and you'll find some

And Ruby, did he finally get it? Were you able to at least convince him to take a roll to try? I would buy one just to make him do it
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the 1970s and 1980s, I used to sell Tri-X and Plus-X at a department store.

Along with Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Kodacolour, 3M slide film, Polaroid SX70 and other films, house brand films .....

No Fuji though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Maybe I'm not old enough, but I do not remember any non-C-41 B&W film at pharmacies here in the U.S. I do remember a wide variety of color film before digital, but anything B&W (other than C-41 b&w) seemed only to be at camera shops.
    wipper 'snapper' I can recall pharmacies with only verichrome pan roll film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL. Perhaps it is because I live in the suburbs. The only B&W I've seen at a pharmacy or dime-store was c-41 stuff, and this has been since the early 90s. For regular B&W I had to hit the pro-shops.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I bought it in department stores that was in a small town, population 12k. The next over, biggest city in the area, was about 40k people then. The nearest city of 100k was 100 miles away. Rural and small town America, definitely NOT urban or ghetto.

Now granted, the nearest places to get darkroom stuff were about 35 miles away and selection was limited even then compared to getting it from New York (via telephone in those days.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Truzi
    By 1950 we still had sugar rationing and only verichrome pan 127, 120 & 620 in end of street pharmacy.
    Noel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I was still seeing Tri-X in CVS near me in western PA a couple of years ago.
    I honestly haven't looked in the last few months, but a year ago I purposely bought TriX at a local CVS just to demonstrate to a film workshop I was giving that it could still be done.

I'll have to check.

Now, getting it developed there is a whole 'nother thing ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin