Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,317   Online: 1130

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unique in NJ also stocks it for less than 5 bucks a roll in 120.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At present I have 6 cameras loaded with Tri-X, 3 with 35mm and 3 with 120. In the last 45 years I have used it exclusively except for a few times that I tried T-Max and XP2 (literally a FEW times).
    In a world without Tri-X I guess I would go all digital!!!
    (please don't hate me)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm surprised that you couldn't find Tri-X film. A quick check shows that it's available at Freestyle in 100' rolls for 35mm, in 24 and 36 exposure for 35mm rolls, and in 120 format. Great prices too. I like HP5, and it looks fine in Acufine and D76. While the negs look different than Tri-X, the prints are close enough. Tri-X is such a wonderful film that I'm sure someone will continue to make it even if Kodak goes away. Kodak could sell that formula for a ton of money.
    Last edited by momus; 12-04-2013 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    I think the OP was looking for 120
    Yes! My mistake! (I actually knew he was looking for 120 but I thought arista premium was only NOT available in sheets, my mistake.

Either way you can still get Tri-X there.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the sources! I'm still learning and discovering. I hit the big A first (because I needed developer, too), they and the other big A were out. I ended up buying from a cam store out of California via the 'Bay. But more sources = more stock.

Funny, I almost solely use HP5 in my yashica mat 124g, though I pretty much stick to delta 100 in the rolliecord. I don't know why, it just feels right with those old gentlemen.

But yes, looking for 120; 35mm isn't a problem - I have 25+ rolls of tri-x hoarded away. And not that it matters, but I am actually a lady. Though my horrible language might say otherwise. And I certainly don't mind being taken for a dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    Thanks for the sources! I'm still learning and discovering. I hit the big A first (because I needed developer, too), they and the other big A were out. I ended up buying from a cam store out of California via the 'Bay. But more sources = more stock.

Funny, I almost solely use HP5 in my yashica mat 124g, though I pretty much stick to delta 100 in the rolliecord. I don't know why, it just feels right with those old gentlemen.

But yes, looking for 120; 35mm isn't a problem - I have 25+ rolls of tri-x hoarded away. And not that it matters, but I am actually a lady. Though my horrible language might say otherwise. And I certainly don't mind being taken for a dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha! Sorry I'm on my phone so I didn't look at your name when I replied to john
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hi dude
    get a larger fridge I've still got 220 trix left & cans of 5222
    try forma 400 & 200
    read to 2nd page of link
    http://www.awh-imaging.co.uk/barrythornton/2bath.htm
    borax is cheap if Ansell used it... we can too
    micro scales with 0.01 gm resolution are cheap brew up own witch spells if shop runs out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Kodak did go away, I wonder how quickly Ilford could take up the slack? Face it, I know that Kodak is a shadow of its former self but I bet Alaris is still selling LOTS of Kodak film. I suspect that we would all be in a big hurt for quite some time if Kodak did roll over.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    ...I just think there's a little more space for being slightly "wrong" with exposure with HP5+ and Tri-X as compared to the TMax and Delta lines.

Agree...and TMax has a little more space for being slightly 'wrong' with development.

While I'm sure this sounds like heresy to many, I'm usually trying to get a "look" based more on the subject and lighting than on any small differences between types of film. Once it's hanging on the wall, I doubt many people will be able to tell what I used.

Agreed. And keep the heresy going, I would guess that 90% of film users don't see any significant difference between the "look" of films...and 90% of the remaining 10% of the film users only think they see a significant difference.
    Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    If Kodak did go away, I wonder how quickly Ilford could take up the slack? Face it, I know that Kodak is a shadow of its former self but I bet Alaris is still selling LOTS of Kodak film. I suspect that we would all be in a big hurt for quite some time if Kodak did roll over.
    Pretty sure ilford could step up production rather quickly, remember kodak's machine can do a years run in 1-2 days, so even at full production ilford could run their machines to keep up with new demand. I'm sure they produce in batches like kodak (though not in one day) so I'm sure they could.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin