Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,262   Online: 1144

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Vaughn
    That's funny. I have the exact opposite experience. Tri-X is far less forgiving with exposure, while TMY records 14 stops linear!
    But Tri-X is far more forgiving in development, reacting less prominently to agitation changes, etc.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    If Kodak did go away, I wonder how quickly Ilford could take up the slack? Face it, I know that Kodak is a shadow of its former self but I bet Alaris is still selling LOTS of Kodak film. I suspect that we would all be in a big hurt for quite some time if Kodak did roll over.
    You'd have to ask yourself whether it'd even be possible for Ilford to get all of the materials they need to make their film without Kodak!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You'd have to ask yourself whether it'd even be possible for Ilford to get all of the materials they need to make their film without Kodak!
    I think the film world is a lot more inter-linked than we even know, maybe even more than they know. Coating small batches at home is one thing, large production runs are something else entirely. I have no doubt, as Stone believes, that Ilford could probably ramp up their machinery. But that requires additional raw material that has to come from somewhere. All it takes is one small bottleneck in the supply chain somewhere to gum up the works.

But then, perhaps it is best that we don't know. Besides, someone somewhere has conducted the risk analysis and has come up with a plan...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I think the film world is a lot more inter-linked than we even know, maybe even more than they know. Coating small batches at home is one thing, large production runs are something else entirely. I have no doubt, as Stone believes, that Ilford could probably ramp up their machinery. But that requires additional raw material that has to come from somewhere. All it takes is one small bottleneck in the supply chain somewhere to gum up the works.

But then, perhaps it is best that we don't know. Besides, someone somewhere has conducted the risk analysis and has come up with a plan...
    I suppose you're right about the raw materials, I hadn't thought of that. Then again, whoever supplies kodak now, could in theory simply switch to ilford, they would need to find a new buyer to cover the cost of maintaining the amounts they currently creat (base material and raw chemicals etc) so the only issue would actually be the initial financing to purchase the larger amounts at the start up of a bigger run, which would probably be easy to get a loan for since you could prove a need existed and being the only game in town, the others (Adox / Rollei / FOMA) couldn't do it I don't think, not to the same degree that ilford could.

Anyway it's all speculation, thank goodness we don't have to worry about that
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, if TX were to go I'd feel as if life was nearly finished. But alas I exist only as an empty shell of a being already, since the loss of Verichrome Pan. A bitter disappointment to be sure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Yes, if TX were to go I'd feel as if life was nearly finished. But alas I exist only as an empty shell of a being already, since the loss of Verichrome Pan. A bitter disappointment to be sure.
    Sometimes I think they modeled Eeyore after you...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    HP5+ in a heartbeat. I use them interchangeably already, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    +1.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had to look that up. A donkey?? Just today you were calling me an elephant. I'd have preferred that as it fits much better. There's not a bit of donkey in me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eeyore is of the same sort of archetype as Charlie Brown. He's a skeptic and I'd venture apolitical.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Eeyore is of the same sort of archetype as Charlie Brown. He's a skeptic and I'd venture apolitical.

more importantly, I think, is that Eeyore is a "cup half empty" kinda guy.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin