Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,734   Online: 891

Page 1 of 29 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

In a world without Tri-X...

So, I had a bit of a panic today. None of my usual sources had Tri-X 120 in stock. NONE. Normally, I'd be all zen and just wait for it to be available, but I actually need it by the 19th. Eventually I did find it, for more than I'd prefer, but those in need have to take what they can get. But I did ponder what I would have used instead.

My first thought was T-Max. But while I like T-Max for certain things, it would not have given me the look I wanted. At least, not the way I normally shoot it. I've only used Ilford and Kodak BNW film; maybe I'm missing out?

What would you use if you wanted to use Tri-X but couldn't? Would you change how you shot or developed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would learn to rough up T-Max 400 a bit, or maybe HP5+ would be better. I'm sure you could get pretty close but you would certainly need to change your exposure/development routine to get there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would likely use HP5+. It isn't exactly the same, but it's a little closer, imo, than TMax. Though I do like TMax, too. I just think there's a little more space for being slightly "wrong" with exposure with HP5+ and Tri-X as compared to the TMax and Delta lines.
    While I'm sure this sounds like heresy to many, I'm usually trying to get a "look" based more on the subject and lighting than on any small differences between types of film. Once it's hanging on the wall, I doubt many people will be able to tell what I used.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HP5. I'd also assume in this situation that if Tri-x were unavailable then Tmax would be as we'll. HP5 is a fantastic film, I prefer it to Tri-x. I have a feeling that may be a reality too soon with the way kodak is going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ in a heartbeat. I use them interchangeably already, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    HP5+ in a heartbeat. I use them interchangeably already, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    It would be at least similar to the end of the world!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    B&H photo always has it in stock and you can easily order it and have it by the 19th at a more than decent price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ilford HP5+ is a nice film but, to my mind it is nothing at all like Tri-X!
    Faced with the inability to buy Tri-X, I'd go for Ilford FP4+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Ilford HP5+ is a nice film but, to my mind it is nothing at all like Tri-X!
    Faced with the inability to buy Tri-X, I'd go for Ilford FP4+
    ditto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you shooting?

For people, the spectral sensitivity of tmax400 is different than tri-x and could be a bit different, but not insurmountable.

For landscape, I've seen many Tri-x photos that seem fairly interchangable with tmax 400.

I keep a stockpile of what I need for film. Your credit card might get stolen and you wouldn't be able to order, you could have a financial emergency and not be able to buy film. There could a be a storm or natural disaster or terror event preventing shipping.

Page 1 of 29 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin