Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,935   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: APX100 or FP4+?

Shooter
    35mm

APX100 or FP4+?

My main film so far has been Ilford's HP5+. But I am thinking about trying out a slower, finer grained film. I normally shoot street scenes, so I am aware that this may not be a wise choice, but I want to give it a try. My choices are narrowed down to Agfa's APX100 and Ilford's FP4+, altough I'm taking other suggestions. I'm more inclined to APX100, mainly because it's cheaper and I don´t feel so guilty by shooting away like crazy. But I know that FP4+ is better/more widely known than APX100. Has anyone tried these two (in 35mm), and can give some help?

TIA,

Rui Durão

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APX100 is excellent in Rodinal 1:50 also it tends to give fuller film speeds (better shadow detail) than FP4 or Tmax 100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rduraoc
    My main film so far has been Ilford's HP5+. But I am thinking about trying out a slower, finer grained film. I normally shoot street scenes, so I am aware that this may not be a wise choice, but I want to give it a try. My choices are narrowed down to Agfa's APX100 and Ilford's FP4+, altough I'm taking other suggestions. I'm more inclined to APX100, mainly because it's cheaper and I don´t feel so guilty by shooting away like crazy. But I know that FP4+ is better/more widely known than APX100. Has anyone tried these two (in 35mm), and can give some help?

TIA,

Rui Durão
    I would go with FP4+. APX 100 is ok, but I find it a PITA to handle as it curls and bends like hell when drying. FP4+ is easier to handle.
    Image quality is better with FP4+ and I find it more forgiving, so if you needs a little more speed in a situation then do it. It can still be printed good. I find APX losing a lot shadow detail when underexposed just a little.

Other films you might consider are Ilford Delta 100, Kodak T-Max 100, Fuji Acros and Foma 100 or Foma 200.

Morten

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    APX.

Cheaper, better availability, lower variation - Ilford tends to change film base on a daily base, I´ve noticed large changes from batch to batch.

APX is a very versatily and strong film, it´s very hard to scratch or ruin, very forgiving and you can turn it into a bw slide film.

It responds nicely to different developers in terms of grain, contrast, sharpness and film speed - APX100 in XTOL, D76 or Rodinal look so different that it´s hard to believe it is the same film you used.

APX100 is my choice of film for 120 next to Efke R50.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morten,

sounds like you have a problem with your drying setup. Do you use hot air? If so, don´t. Let the film dry cold until it looks dry, only then turn on the heater and it will dry absolutely flat.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hm...I use & like both of your options (APX 100 & FP4+) but I've also used a couple of Doc Morten's suggested films, too... Delta 100 & Acros (also a 100 speed film).

Delta is easy to manipulate, but has a more pronounced grain which, if you've been shooting faster film, you may like. Acros & APX are both incredibly 'fine grained' and (for me) seem to have a wide range of shadow & highlight. FP4+ is a good film and I just recently have been experimenting with shooting it at speeds other than 125. So far so good!

I think you would do yourself a great favor by checking out a couple of rolls of each. You know the types of subjects you like to shoot and you will be able to decide which works best for your application. So... give them each a go! Try them at different speeds (I have no idea how either of them push...I like slower speeds for my application).
    Good Luck!!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I usually use FP4 but got a few rolls of apx100 and acros just out on interest.

What are the main differences between these film with regard to contrast, tonality, and accutance with pyro devs? People here seem to have good results with acros in pyro. Sorry if this is kinda hijacking the thread a bit!

With regard to the original question, I think 100/125 speed if OK for street scenes if you use fast lenses and shoot near the middle of the day.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    M,

"What are the main differences between these film with regard to contrast, tonality, and accutance with pyro devs? People here seem to have good results with acros in pyro. Sorry if this is kinda hijacking the thread a bit!"

I´d expect the two to behave similarly, they are quite close in their behaviour.

Two weeks ago I dev´d APX100 in PcatHD - not that much stain, but it works in masking the grain. Acutance is en par with Rodinal 1+50 but film speed is higher with Pcat - as you´d expect it.

Hope this helps.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll probably do a test of both. Anyone with an EI and dev. times for Rodinal 1+50, to use as my starting numbers?

Thanks again,
    Rui Durão

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Sounds like you have a problem with your drying setup. Do you use hot air? If so, don´t. Let the film dry cold until it looks dry, only then turn on the heater and it will dry absolutely flat.
    Thanks. My hot air system works perfectly with all other films than Agfa films...and I like Delta 100 so much that I don't want to switch at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin