Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,308   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I know the answer but...

Got out the enlarger today. Little Boy.

Chose a neg I had been promising everyone for years and decided to run a few great prints out for Christmas.

Orient Seagull RC/VC II
    Arista Paper Dev (1:9)
    Kodak Ind Stop (1:63)
    Kodafix (1:7)
    All at 68F

Exposed once at f/8 for 14" as I had when I printed this neg previously.
    2 minutes in the soup and barely any detail.

Well, the Paper Dev looks like Old Brown so I opened a new bottle and, given I had not printed last time on OS RCVCII I decided to run a test print on fresh Dev.

2 minutes, same thing, even on the 64" portion of the print.

Now, THE PAPER WAS NOT CLIMATE CONTROLLED. I kept this stuff in my closet. Exterior to house wall. No climate control other than ambient through the door seams from my bedroom. All the chems I used, though two years old, were just opened.

It's the paper, isn't it?

Edit: The good news. But I got the stuff out. I really am back. Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
    That saved a wretch like me.
    I once was lost but now am found,
    Was blind, but now I see.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And then comes the refrain with the doo-wop background choir: "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong..."

Good on ya, Christopher!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Images
    Try a little longer in the developer. A while back I tried a Arista developer with my Oriental paper, their super black or something (it's been a while). Used my standard times and, like you, barely got any image. Called Freestyle, talked with their tech person and could not come up with anything. They sent me a bottle of a different developer. Kept trying the first developer that day. Nothing a 2 minutes but at 2 1/2 minutes suddenly the image popped. Something about the Oriental required much more development time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh oh. I have some papers that are not in the fridge, and I KNOW that during the last 2 years the house has gotten really hot a few times when I forgot to turn the a/c on when I left for the day. Guess I know what to expect now. If nothing else, your post has given me a heads up, and I'll buy some new stuff and stick in in the fridge. I already learned my lesson w/ developer on this issue. After 3 weeks, I add time to my D76, and after 5 weeks I throw it out. Who knew the papers would go the same route? Well, once burnt, twice learned it seems. I'm in Florida, so the heat thing is extreme.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one more unopened box of paper. I might give it a try before tossing it out too. I have used Arista Dev on Orient Seagull in the past at 1:9 and had an image form within 30 sec. The fresh dev clued me onto the paper. Of course, I haven't bought anything in three years. So it is all, paper, film and chemistry, three years old. Might just kill it all and buy new. And the good stuff too. Well, Ilford chems, I love the way the Orient Seagull portrays the light.

Ah, we'll see.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was it just freshly opened developer or freshly purchased developer? 'Cause since paper isn't cheap, I'd try brand new developer first if that isn't what you did.
    And isn't it still a great feeling to do it, even if it doesn't work right? Welcome back!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would have thought that with old paper you would get grays instead of whites. That's fogging. With any printing session, I always start by making test strips. Even if I think I know the right time. Your developer might be good if it was kept in the original unopened container. Not so with the paper.

Hope this helps,

-- Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Second time around with the test strip?

Old opened box of paper.
    Newly opened and clearish, albeit three year old, developer. I might just try the unopened paper later before I toss it all and start from scratch.

Thanks, guys.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, you should have image unless the developer is bad. The old paper will show fogging and be gray if it is expired.I have some Forte that is nearly 10 years old and doesn't show signs of age fog, and was stored in my DR on a shelf the entire time. You may just need new developer.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin