Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,601   Posts: 1,622,408   Online: 683

Shooter
    4x5 Format

TMAX 100 - 2 Stop Push?

I accidentally exposed TMAX 100 as ISO 400. I've heard that TMAX doesn't push very well but I would like to salvage what I can. I currently have DDX & HC-110 developers in stock. Which ones would you recommend using & at what dilution? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would try HC 110 (Dil B) at 12 m or microdol X at 23 - 25 m. These are just a guess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Nikkorray,

In the Xtol data sheet, Kodak publishes detailed times and temperatures for pushing T-Max.

Neal Wydra

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkorray
    I accidentally exposed TMAX 100 as ISO 400. I've heard that TMAX doesn't push very well but I would like to salvage what I can. I currently have DDX & HC-110 developers in stock. Which ones would you recommend using & at what dilution? Thanks in advance.
    You should be able to push TMX two stops in either one. For HC-110, my own preference would be Dilution G (1:119 from syrup -- be sure to observe a minimum 3 ml syrup per roll, which require a double tank with at least 360 ml for 35 mm); I find development for 3 times the Dilution B time, with agitation every 3 minutes, gives me normal negatives; for a two-stop push, I'd go to 4 times Dilution B time and increase agitation from 3 minute intervals to every minute.

The result will be contrasty, no shadow detail, and you'll likely wish you could reshoot -- but it's likely the negatives will be printable enough for some uses. TMX, unfortunately, is one of the least forgiving emulsions in terms of exposure.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Donald!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin