Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,075   Online: 1011

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    You should be very pleased with Acros in F76+
    We'll see shortly Bill! I just checked FedEx tracking and it's due here this afternoon. I haven't found a real bad developer for Fuji Acros yet! JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, after the big Christmas recovery I finally made it into the dark. I processed three different films in the new Arista Premium Liquid developer aka Clayton F76+. I did some Ilford Delta, Fuji Acros in 35mm and one roll of Arista Ultra 200 aka Foma 200. The Delta looks perfect, the Acros looks nice, but my friend seems to have underexposed it a little. The 120 Arista is alright, but there seems to be a little bug or I should say many little bugs. The Arista Ultra 120 came out looking just fine, but when I look at it under a 10x loupe I can see tons of little black speck all over the surface. They are all different shapes and seem to look like small metal shavings. Might not show in a smaller print, but I'm sure I'd see them in a large one. I used the developer as recommend with distilled water, used a tap water stop, and fixed with TF3 fixer followed by a running water wash and then a short soak in distilled water with two drops of LFN. I'm going to do another roll tomorrow and would like a few suggestions as to what I might do to kill these little black buggers. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Arista EDU Ultra is rebranded Foma and some have reported such emulsion problems. I've never seen them in the Arista.EDU.Ultra I've shot but that certainly doesn't mean anything. I've also only used the 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that Foma 200 is a couple of years old, then you have films from the period when they had emulsion defects. They looked like little 'needles' all over the emulsion. What you see could have happened with any developer. For me it was with Xtol.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If that Foma 200 is a couple of years old, then you have films from the period when they had emulsion defects. They looked like little 'needles' all over the emulsion. What you see could have happened with any developer. For me it was with Xtol.
    This is new stuff Tom so I think the problem might just be on my end, but those little black metallic type spots didn't show on the 35mm films and that has me a little puzzled. I'm going to use new/fresh fixer and all distilled water on this roll and see what happens. Not real happy with the film so far, but I have nine more rolls to see if I can be happy. If not I'll stick with Acros, Ilford and Kodak. I know folks say "you get what you pay for", but I'm not rolling in dough as they say also. one down, nine to go! JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I just check the Delta 100 35mm negatives a little closer and see some of the same black gunk/junk on those too. I'm starting to suspect my fixer now, but it might be my tap water. I'll do some investigating, but at least I'm pretty sure it's not the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Problem found! Contaminated fixer was the culprit. Somehow I grabbed the wrong brown glass jug of fixer. It was my discard jug that somehow made it from under the sink to up on the shelf. Most have had a brain fart when I put it away last time. I now have the exposure and developing time pretty well zeroed in and I think I could actually get by very nicely rating Arista EDU Ultra at a full ISO 200 box speed with the F76+ developer since the shadow detail is really abundant at ISO 120. After I'm done testing I'm going to take some shots worth scanning and will post. I have no complaints about this developer so far, but I did have to cut my developing time by 1 minute to hold some texture in a couple of snow scenes. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Several years back when I could afford to shoot Delta 3200 I used lots of Clayton F76+ as my developer. Worked like a charm. It's easy for someone to think it's a D-76 clone given the name, but I too recall hearing it behaved more like
    DD-X. I never used DD-X so I cannot comment on this claim, but I was very pleased with F-76+.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin