Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,989   Online: 1016

Thread: Agfa fixer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa fixer

I recently tried to order some Ilford Hypam fixer, only to be told that it is no longer supplied by Ilford. I had to get Agfa Agefix instead, which I've never used before. In typical Agfa fashion, there is nothing about fixing times on the bottle. A cursory glance at Silverprint's catalogue suggests a similar fixing time as Hypam. This is rather too vague for me, and I was wondering if anyone had something a little more in depth regarding fixing times. Regards, BLIGHTY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WHAT !!!! Not that I'm doubting you but where did you hear it? I'm asking as Jessops are still supplying it :o

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    my dealer just got a whole new shipment of ilford fixer. it was a bit late but it did arrive

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to say that the data sheet that came with the paper should contain the times. Agfa Agefix for MCC 111 is 1 to 3 minutes at 20C.

Does Agefix contain hardener?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    Does Agefix contain hardener?
    Mark
    No, no hardener, according to the Agfa Agefix MSDS.

The contents of Agefix follow:

Ammonium Thiosulfate

Sodium Acetate

Boric Acid

Sodium Sulfite

Water

Thus, Agefix is an Ammonium Thiosulfate based rapid, non-hardening fixer. Its pH is buffered and is mildly acidic.

The Agefix MSDS:
    http://www.madsens.com.au/new/darkro...oncentrate.pdf
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use it because it's cheap and had the same problem when it arrived, no instructions. A quick google gives the info:

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/PDF/CPD5e.pdf (go to page 6)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    WHAT !!!! Not that I'm doubting you but where did you hear it? I'm asking as Jessops are still supplying it :o
    I really do hope I misunderstood the info that was given me by Silverprint. They said Hypam was no longer being supplied. Actually, I've just been thinking, and it may be that it is no longer supplied under the name of Hypam (didn't Ilford change its name for some reason?). Either way, it'd be a shame to lose what has been my standard fixer for donkeys years. Thanks all.Regards, BLIGHTY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just seen Agfa's Tech. Inf. pdf, and this sort of muddies the water even more. At a dilution of 1:9, they're quoting fixing times of 4 mins (for FB) ± 1 minute at anywhere between 20~35°C. Does this not seem a little vague? Ilford give very precise times/temps for Hypam. Obviously I don't want to underfix, but neither do I want to overfix my prints. BLIGHTY

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin