Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,859   Online: 859

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As Ian said John Sextons opinions/advice on using Tmax films is very well worth reading.I'm mainly a tri x user myself but use tmax 100 or 400 in tmax RS Developer and you might have a different opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen work that puts my puny efforts to shame on all those films Truth of it is that for me a great image could be made by woodpecker and have grain like lava rocks, as long as it's a great image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-shot-2012-02-03-at-12.35.21-PM.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	78456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I do not like these, don't consider them natural, they lack integrity and when a manufacturer attempts to put all the grains in the same direction, I believe they don't always succeed.
    I would answer, if I knew what any of that meant.

I mean, the "natural" part I understand, I guess, but the rest... WTH?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's all a matter of personal opinion. There is no obligation to justify your preference. I don't like kale either, never have. I don't like the look of these films whether I process them or I am looking at someone else's photography. It would be a very dull world if we all agreed.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-14-2013 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love them both. To me, they are as natural as moss (traditional grain) and granite (tabular grain).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suppose a good analogy would be is it OK to have a tooth filling or a face lift?
    A tooth filling, unless you want the tooth removed, or enjoy the pain, then I think fillings are recommended.

Facelift, well it's putting your health at risk for the sake of vanity, but that's a personal choice.

We all do things that risk our health or the health of others, and it's generally not for reasons of integrity.

Back to the film thing though, I don't care, in fact my favourite BW emulsion is probably XP2 or BW400CN, but neither is available in 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive, natural? Go get a lump of mica. In its natural state, it resembles the form or look of t-grains in a photomicrograph. So nature creates what man makes in a lab.

As for lying flat, yes they do. They come out of the hopper flat, they are coated flat and compress down into a flat layer. In fact, they are so flat that on small rollers in some cameras, the grains can crack going around the bend unless the right "lubricants" are used in the emulsion.

They develop to give silver images that are similar to K grains, but they stop more light and thus give higher speed with lower grain.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, don't waste your time on this nonsense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I suppose a good analogy would be is it OK to have a tooth filling or a face lift?
    its just film ...
    its too bad people are so hung up on all the small stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    PE, don't waste your time on this nonsense.
    Actually, Michael, I think PE's explanation was illuminating - at least to me.

And would be quite helpful to someone reading this thread with less experience.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin