Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,488   Online: 904

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I agree. I couldn't care less about grain, but the tonal qualities of TMY are amazing.
    Yes, I use it for studio work()flash photography) and never have to worry about dead shadows or blocked highlights.Nevertheless,with proper exposure and development one should ge the samefrom all the other name -brand films also. the rest is individual preference or just what one is used to.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megzdad81 View Post
    I have only fount that Tri-X was the most forgiving of my incredibly stupid errors ...
    An excellent point! It becomes a toss-up what film to recommend to our beginning students -- one that is more forgiving with exposure (TMax) or one that is more forgiving with development (Tri-X). We tend to go towards TMax -- at least with developing they are in our darkroom where we can be of some help and try to get them to develop in a consistent manner.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not aware of the use of t-grains in paper emulsions.

Ektar uses a mix of conventional cubic grains and t-grains to achieve it's goal of fine grained color.

Both Ilford and Kodak were at the forefront of emulsion improvements. Fuji and Agfa were about 1 generation behind IIRC.. Simon can correct me on this as well as my paper comment above.

And, when I was coating the Kodacolor Gold 400 experiments, there was a team behind us working on it's replacement using t-grains. This was in the era when t-grains cracked and then fogged going around the tiny rollers in 120 and 220 film backs and so a "lubricant" had to be found to allow the emulsion coating to flex.

PE

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, thank you for your posts.they are so enriching to APUG.Weare all fortunate to have people such as you,Simon and |Ian in our forums;much appreciated!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Yes, I use it for studio work()flash photography) and never have to worry about dead shadows or blocked highlights.Nevertheless,with proper exposure and development one should ge the samefrom all the other name -brand films also. the rest is individual preference or just what one is used to.
    Perhaps, but I have difficulty getting prints as good with HP5+ as I do with TMax, I think due to the incredibly long straight line section of TMY's response curve. HP5+ has a relatively abrupt shoulder so I tend to blow highlights with it, especially since I rate the film at either 200 or 100 depending on the shadows. I'll just have to keep working with it, I guess.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    PE, thank you for your posts.they are so enriching to APUG.Weare all fortunate to have people such as you,Simon and |Ian in our forums;much appreciated!
    HUGE +1 to that!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, thanks guys. Just trying to help.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I really like Delta 400 for many things, though I tend to use Tri-X a lot more, also keen on Acros, and exploring Delta 100 too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Perhaps, but I have difficulty getting prints as good with HP5+ as I do with TMax, I think due to the incredibly long straight line section of TMY's response curve. HP5+ has a relatively abrupt shoulder so I tend to blow highlights with it, especially since I rate the film at either 200 or 100 depending on the shadows. I'll just have to keep working with it, I guess.
    Have you tried a softer working developer or using less time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, thanks guys. Just trying to help.

PE
    PE, I go out of my way to read your posts. Even in topics I'm not interested in!!! Seriously.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin