Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,945   Online: 1020

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All types of B&W films from the main manufacturers have their merits. I am a long time user of FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus films, but the T-Max, Delta and Acros are also excellent films. Film choice is a very personal thing.

I really like Kodak TMY2 for studio portraiture and it performs brilliantly in standard developers like D-76 & ID-11 diluted 1+1. The skin tones are superb with that film and I am sure that Ilford's Delta 100 & 400 films are as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, thanks guys. Just trying to help.

PE
    Much appreciated as usual. I have always admired your even-tempered and polite responses and willingness to contribute generously to this forum.

And for my two cents, my test is looking at the best print I can make which each kind of film. I prefer non-T films. I just like the prints more with traditional grained films. I perhaps lack the technical vocabulary to explain what I see but its something to do with insipid mid greys and the steep drop to full black I have experienced. I'm sure I could get better with practice, but while TX400, FP4 and HP5 are around they will be my best friends in the camera.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What an enlightening and enriching thread. Thanks to all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Much appreciated as usual. I have always admired your even-tempered and polite responses and willingness to contribute generously to this forum.

And for my two cents, my test is looking at the best print I can make which each kind of film. I prefer non-T films. I just like the prints more with traditional grained films. I perhaps lack the technical vocabulary to explain what I see but its something to do with insipid mid greys and the steep drop to full black I have experienced. I'm sure I could get better with practice, but while TX400, FP4 and HP5 are around they will be my best friends in the camera.
    You may need to split grade print with burn and dodge routinely then.
    I don't mind grain so I use expired HP5 and Foma 400 in 135. Split grade is my norm anyway, bad negs, so a tabular is not a problem when I use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    PE, I go out of my way to read your posts. Even in topics I'm not interested in!!! Seriously.
    +1
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When Agfa improved AP25 and AP100 which were already excellent films releasing APX25 and APX100 they were alongside Kodak & Ilford in terms of quality, in fact if anything they were a touch ahead. APX100 was a stop faster in practice than Tmax 100 to get a similar tonal rage and good shadow details both gave similar sharpness & fine grain.

Agfa lagged behind with their 400 ISO emulsion though.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian, tmax100 is extremely fine grained while apx100 was very coarse for a iso 100 film. And yes, apx 100 had a tonality that was hard to beat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    PE, I go out of my way to read your posts. Even in topics I'm not interested in!!! Seriously.
    Same here.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Mmmmm. Well, thanks, but I have been known to lose my cool.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for the posts and please note I am not knocking these types of film which I'm sure produce beautiful prints and mine is just a personal preference. I suppose my view stems from my experimentation with basic halogens. I just like simplicity of form and function.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin