Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 906

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Experimentation with basic halogens" just confuses the entire issue for me!

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    "Experimentation with basic halogens" just confuses the entire issue for me!

PE
    When you go to sleep tonight, try and imagine that chemical photography hasn't been discovered and think how such a concept may produce a practical image. This may lead to a process not yet discovered.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    while apx100 was very coarse for a iso 100 film.
    Really ? Maybe it is your process of development rather. My 8x12 prints from 35mm frame are grainless. They maybe with little less sharpness than from TMX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, tmax100 is extremely fine grained while apx100 was very coarse for a iso 100 film. And yes, apx 100 had a tonality that was hard to beat.
    I can show you 35mm negatives shot on APX100 processed in Rodinal with excellent fine grain as good as Tmax 100 in any regular developer D76/ID-11/Xtol/Rodinal etc. I used the term excellent fine grain because Agfa APX25 gave exceptionally fine grain, finer than both Tmax100 and APX100. My experience of using APX100 alongside Tmax 100 & 400 in all formats was over many years until Agfa discontinued APX in sheet film so I'm speaking from experience of shooting, processing and printing quite large quantities of both films.

I can't comment about the current products since Agfa ceased manufacture of their own consumer/professional films.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Really ? Maybe it is your process of development rather. My 8x12 prints from 35mm frame are grainless. They maybe with little less sharpness than from TMX.
    I'd add to that the effects of craft/technique, you can see wildly different results with the same film/developer combination and it's totally down to the control of the process, temperature being the key.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian, I was fan of apx100. Used a lot of it in 94 to 98. It was notorious in the market for being the iso 100 film with he biggest grain. As a matter of fact, it was never even marketed as a fine grain film while tmax' motto was "fine grain".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, I was fan of apx100. Used a lot of it in 94 to 98. It was notorious in the market for being the iso 100 film with he biggest grain. As a matter of fact, it was never even marketed as a fine grain film while tmax' motto was "fine grain".
    I strongly disagree, APX100 was sold as a fine grain film and it was, Tmax 100 was sold with typical US hype - don't get me wrong it is/was a good film until only available in a few parts of the world.

APX100 was known for it's exceptional qualities including fine grain, sharpness and tonality and never as you claim. See agfa's own data sheets for Agfa APX100 "Today, for example, an ISO 100 material achieve the fine grain of previous ISO 25 film"

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Rms numbers are there for a reason.

And I have no stake in this conversation. If you magically make apx 100 finer grained then tmax 100, that's perfect.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you magically make apx 100 finer grained then tmax 100, that's perfect.
    You cannot do that. Both materials are giving grainless prints. IMO TMX holds sharpness better in large blowups, but how often one is making 16x20 from small format ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    You cannot do that. Both materials are giving grainless prints. IMO TMX holds sharpness better in large blowups, but how often one is making 16x20 from small format ?
    Oh boy... I'm in a 20x24 marathon. I've been printing all my "best of" 35mm negatives since 1990 on 16x2" and 20x24 fb.

Many things struck me. Here's a few:
    Tmax 100 is absolutely wonderful.
    Apx100 in D76 1:0 absolutely wonderful. It's all about excellent contrast.
    No film records whites as fp4 does.
    Hp5 really sings at 800 and 1600!
    Never shoot apx100 @ 50 and develop in rodinal 1:50. You're in for super boring prints.
    Tmax 3200 was the most under rated film ever.
    Leica glass is wonderful.
    Minolta glass is just as wonderful.
    After all has been said and done, D76 does it best.

All and only my opinions.

Last edited by NB23; 12-17-2013 at 09:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin