Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,146   Online: 803

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    yep, Both Plus-X 5231 and 7231 and the old and new version of Plus-x reversal are all discontinued. (doubt if they ever made more than a couple of batches of the "new" Plus-x Reversal.

5222/7222 is the only B&W movie Negative. I have never heard of a Tri-X negative movie film. (there are two version of Tri-X reveral but both in 16mm only)

There was a 4X negative (ISO 500) at one time. as well as XT pan. (ISO 25) I only ever got 100 ft of each, The 4X was rather grainy but the XT was a VERY nice film - it was intended for shooting background plates for rear projection and of course those were no longer done in B&W)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good evening Timor,
    I am located in Salisbury, Maryland.
    Sam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good evening Stone and APUG friends,
    I have been using 5222 since 1996 and love it. I equally like 5231 when I want smoother tones and finer grain. Problem is, I am running out of 5231. I would like to get to get about 400'.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hotton View Post
    Good evening Stone and APUG friends,
    I have been using 5222 since 1996 and love it. I equally like 5231 when I want smoother tones and finer grain. Problem is, I am running out of 5231. I would like to get to get about 400'.
    Evening Sam,

I wish you luck, I think you will have to find something else

I would suggest considering...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/24650-REG

It is the closest thing to normal Plus-X sill film, but I'm not sure if there was a difference between the movie film and the still version of Plus-x. This ilford FP4+ is really nice stuff. It's a traditional grain film, and also ASA 125. If you want even FINER...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/108312-REG

That's another ilford product Delta100) but you could also consider...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/29118-USA

Both are super fine grained tabular films that are ASA 100.

Those are my suggestions.

The reason I'm saying this is simply because, I think that if you do get your hands on some of the movie stock you're looking for, there's no real guarantee it was stored as well as you store your own film in the past, and you may end up with lesser results then you were hoping for, and this other stuff you can buy fresh. I mentioned the Ilford FP4+ film first because it's the closest thing to the same speed and style of film that you are currently using, as far as I can ascertain, and also because Ilford is a company that will be around for many many years and that film is going to be available for a very very long time, so standardizing on it is a very good that compared to Kodak which is seemingly always up in the air...

If you absolutely must switch from your current film, I would suggest picking up a few rolls of each of these, and testing out to see what you like before you pick up the long rolls.

Best of luck!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Good evening Timor,
    I am located in Salisbury, Maryland.
    Sam
    Hi Samuel. If you would be interested in Eastman Double X Negative your best choice would be Kodak directly. The last phone number I have to place an order is 800.621.3456. You've got to talk to them.
    And of course there is ORWO with its UN54 ISO 100 film. But looks like ORWO is on the move again, so contact only by email.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Miha, how is the availability of ORWO cine films in your neighborhood ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can anyone please tell me where I might purchase Eastman Plus X negative film 5231 (motion Picture film)?
    With thanks,
    Sam H.
    Sam,
    The Film Photography Project still has Kodak Plus X listed for $8.99 per roll. http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/film

No bulk rolls available though so it might be a bit pricey for you. Let us know how it works out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get it pre-rolled into 35mm film canisters here: http://filmphotographyproject.com/st...plus-x-5231-bw

Also keep an eye out on Ebay.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin