Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,433   Online: 835

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Yes it is. I use a wine box for the replenisher too. I use a 2 liter working solution bottle. I find my working solution becomes tired before using up the replenisher. I also have to add more time with subsiquent rolls or more than 70ml per 80sq inches after 2/3 into using my replenisher. I don't think you can over replenish since the working solution is the same strength as the replenisher.
    That is what I do. I have never had a problem with it and I am really satisfied with the results.

Replenished XTOL lasts for years.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 12-15-2013 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Xtol in my experience is very long lasting replenished. Years. My stabilized seasoned replenished numbers are just about +20% in development time, and my replenishment rates are 60ml per 36 exp roll. Remarkably stable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One really useful advantage of using replenished developer is that your developer is always at room temperature. I just adjust development time as room temperature varies.

I'm currently using HC-110 (dilution E) in a replenishment regime. When my bottle of HC-110 replenisher is gone, I expect I'll continue the experiments on using HC-110 as its own replenisher that are documented here on APUG.

If I had the space and didn't have as much HC-110 as I do, I would most likely be using X-Tol or T-Max RS (which is another good option).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do I replenish? With a glass of dry wine or a Bombay Gin Martini.

Sex is not a bad way to go either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    marciofs, read Kodak's publications. They are very clear, and also explain the pros and cons related to replenished development. See Kodak's XTOL technical publication for specific instructions on how to run replenished XTOL. For a more general discussion about replenishment, see the section on replenishment in the following publication:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...Pubs/o3/o3.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    marciofs, read Kodak's publications. They are very clear, and also explain the pros and cons related to replenished development. See Kodak's XTOL technical publication for specific instructions on how to run replenished XTOL. For a more general discussion about replenishment, see the section on replenishment in the following publication:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...Pubs/o3/o3.pdf
    Thank you very much.

I didn't understand how to do it, maybe because English is not my tong language, but I will check this PDF to see if I get how to do it.
    I actually use Ilfotec HC.

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You should probably find someone's already-formulated version, then just use it. Otherwise, to be blunt about it, you don't have the knowledge to formulate one yourself.
    You, sir, are entirely correct -- no way I could properly formulate a replenisher, now that you've helped explain the obstacles. I was rather hoping that there some sort of "replenisher for dummies" method that would tell me to use 60% of whatever metol there might be in the developer, 48% of the HQ, 50% of the borax, etc. Kind of like making pancakes from the recipe on the back of the Aunt Jemima box. No so simple, it seems. I do like the simplicity of the Xtol regime, as it involves just using the developer itself as the replenisher, but I rather doubt that the developer-as-replenisher applies broadly to all developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Other than cost savings, film processed in seasoned, replenished developer looks better to me.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Other than cost savings, film processed in seasoned, replenished developer looks better to me.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have experience with replenishing two developers: Kodak Xtol and Edwal Developer 12 (commercially available from Photographers' Formulary as simply 'Developer 12').

Both are incredibly nice developers and I have about six years of combined experience with them. The Xtol batch I used was active and stable for the five years I used it. The only thing you have to worry about is that if you don't develop any film for a couple of weeks, replenish the working solutions with about 70-100ml anyway.

After my divorce I went through a period of creativity problems, and didn't shoot/develop any film for about five months. I also didn't replenish the Xtol. It just sat in its container in the basement. Then one fine day I decided to end the spell and run some film. I mixed some fresh Xtol, replenished my 2 liter working solution with 300ml fresh Xtol, and I ran a roll through it, and it came out EXACTLY as the last time I had used it. Is that incredible or what?

Today I shoot way less film than I used to, so I have moved to developing film using a 2-bath method, but some day when I have more time for photography I'll probably do replenished developers again. Super sharp, fine grain negatives that I get better tonality in my prints from than stock or dilute developer.

Just try it, and have some fun. It's an amazingly economical way to process film too!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin