Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,094   Online: 1030

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is incredible! Thanks for the tip Thomas. I'll give it a try after not running film for a while in my XTOL. I'm really busy and I shoot in spurts.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    An even easier replenishment scheme is with Ansco 130 for prints. I usually just top off my bottle of working solution with fresh 1:1 stock. Works for me.

tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My experience mirrors Thomas's. No matter how old or funky the Xtol looks, ya have to try it. This last time I did some in Xtol I shook up the sediments, then filtered it thru heavy Chemex filter. Did a 250ml straight fresh Xtol top up replenishment, ran a test and bingo, same time and temp same awesome fine grain, great contrast and tones. I think my current batch is at least 3 years old at this point, 2 or 3. I think it gets better with age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A major bugaboo with MQ developers and their replenishment is bromide buildup. This effectively limits the number of times a system can be replenished unless a large volume of the developer (say 1/3 of the volume) is dumped periodically in order to bring the bromide level down. PQ or PA developers are less sensitive to bromide buildup and make a better choice for a replenishment system. I use the term Phenidone to include its several variants such as Phenidone B and the Dimezones.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-17-2013 at 12:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford DD can be replenished too. The technical data can be downloaded from Ilford's website and I am sure that Simon Galley can help with advice for replenishment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    A major bugaboo with MQ developers and their replenishment is bromide buildup. This effectively limits the number of times a system can be replenished unless a large volume of the developer (say 1/3 of the volume) is dumped periodically in order to bring the bromide level down. PQ or PA developers are less sensitive to bromide buildup and make a better choice for a replenishment system. I use the term Phenidone to include its several variants such as Phenidone B and the Dimezones.
    Gerald,

Do you think in the case of a print developer where a significant quantity is removed with each print, bromide build up would be minimized?

thanX,
    tim
    Last edited by Buggs; 12-17-2013 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are doing one 135 a day use D76 1+3 and discard.

If you are running a cine print machine 24/7 and fast processing, it is economic to replenish. and you are going to purge the whole machine regular.

You will need to check the pH, filter, etc.,... and a damaged frame not end of world.

D96 ( the cine developer) is real cheap to initialize and replenish cheaper than D76...

If you use a stock bottle for D76 with 135 one bit of film shard transferring from one film to another can make retouching real difficult. 1+3 is safer.

Deep tank for large format and prints maybe...

You need to be an organic chemist to design a developer and its replinisher the two are paired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs View Post
    Gerald,

Do you think in the case of a print developer where a significant quantity is removed with each print, bromide build up would be minimized?

thanX,
    tim
    I'm not Gerald, but I use replenished Ethol LPD for my prints, and I can share how I get around that problem and get consistent results.

The factory instructions are to mix up a gallon kit of LPD as usual. You take 1/3 of the gallon and mix it with water 1:2 for one gallon of working solution.
    You take the remaining 2/3 and mix it 2:1 for one gallon, which becomes your replenishing solution.
    For each Qty 30 - size 8x10 prints (or equivalent), you replenish 300ml.
    At the end of the printing session, top up your working solution to fill your storage container completely.

When you run out of replenisher, you mix a new batch. But here is where I do it differently than what's recommended; I use the old working solution to mix the new working solution instead of water. So 1/3 of the fresh LPD is mixed with old working solution to make one gallon of fresh working solution.
    I think I've gone through maybe 30 cans of LPD and I have continuously replenished the same LPD this way every single time, so there is some trace from the very first can in my existing working solution.

I honestly don't know how other replenished print developers work, if there's a specific replenishing solution, and so on. But that's how LPD has worked for me, and I really enjoy how it's working out for me. Very economical.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as I know, Xtol is the only developer that also serves as its own replenisher. For years, I used it that way in Kodak hard rubber tanks and it never went bad. Now I do less film and, for reasons that shouldn't be examined too closely, am using D-23. I'm now working on a liter bottle of D-23 that I've been replenishing since September. So far, so good. BTW, the Anchell and Troop Film Developer's Cookbook has formulas for developers and their replenishers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    As far as I know, Xtol is the only developer that also serves as its own replenisher. For years, I used it that way in Kodak hard rubber tanks and it never went bad. Now I do less film and, for reasons that shouldn't be examined too closely, am using D-23. I'm now working on a liter bottle of D-23 that I've been replenishing since September. So far, so good. BTW, the Anchell and Troop Film Developer's Cookbook has formulas for developers and their replenishers.
    Edwal 12 works as its own replenishing solution too. I've kept a batch running for a few years, and it has been a remarkably stable and consistent developer.
    Metol, Sodium Sulfite, Paraphenyline Diamine (PPD), and Glycin. Works a charm.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin