Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,827   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

I missed out on buying a Nova Darkroom Developing Tank (Beginner Darkroomer)

Darkroomer?

I was going to buy (locally) a Nova 12" x 16" developing tank for around £75 GBP seen on the local Gumtree site.

The seller stated that it would save a lot of room (I am trying to figure out a temporary darkroom in the house.

The Nova was thermostatically controlled and as I only have 8" x 10" trays I would like the capacity to print 12" x 16" and my enlarger can do this size.

I initially was going to buy an 8" x 10" Paterson print washer tray which you plug into the tap and then I seen the Nova tank and thought this would be great.

The Nova tank can also process fibre prints so this was another boon.

Needless to say I just checked the advert again to phone the seller and the advert is gone!

Would it be a good idea to buy this? It makes sense to me although I am a novice who has bought nearly everything he needs without printing as yet.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vertical print tanks can be very useful, if space is at a premium. Years ago, a friend built his own, for 16x20, out of fiberglass. He installed drain plugs, for ease of dumping. It worked great. If you're handy, you can probably build one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very handy (humble or what? ) although DIY is not worth my time any more.

I'll look out for another one as I can't see any major disadvantage to using one.

The Nova was also thermostatically controlled so I won't have to buy multiple thermometers either then worry about heat loss here in the Arctic (Ireland not quite)

I'm sure this wasn't even sold I just wished I had been on the ball and called when I first seen the advert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are great if your darkroom is space-challenged. I have a 12x16 Nova quad and really like it. They are nice for conserving chemistry too, with floating lids, a long-lasting developer will last through several printing sessions.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was indeed a Nova quad, do you think aound £75 GBP was a good price? It looked in great condition.

I also need to buy new paper developer so which paper developer lasts long? I was under the impression you had to dump it each time as I do with the film developer Ilfosol 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without checking up the exchange rate, it seems like a very good price, assuming it's in good condition with no leaks, etc. Parts are available from Nova too.

Ansco 130, and Liquidol (both available from Photographer's Formulary) last a very long time. The Ansco 130 formula is published, ordering it from the Formulary might be expensive for you. Liquidol is a liquid concentrate, so the shipping across the ocean is probably out of the question.

I've had good luck with Moersch Neutral which which what I'm currently using, and it's probably easier to buy on your side of the pond.

In open trays, the life of any developer is limited, but in the slot processor, there is minimal surface area exposed to air, then that gets closed off when the lid is in place, so that is a big factor in the developer longevity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks bdial,

I shall look out for one.

Right now I have 8" x 10" trays for development, stop and fix. As I was going to buy a tank instead of a print washer (which I don't have), is there a way to rinse without one of those print washing trays with hoses? Or will I need to get one of these before acquiring a tank?

There is other equipment I need to get too, for example, print drying racks.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nova Quad seems to be one of the few items, sourced in the U.K. that sells for less here than in the U.S. With most things sourced in the U.K. and also sold in the U.S. the opposite hold true.

Nevertheless for a fully functional 12x16 Nova Quad £75 is a very good price indeed.If, as you think, the seller failed to make a sale then keep your eye open for a re-listing but normally expect to pay more for 12x16 Nova Quads if this one doesn't re-appear.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal View Post
    Thanks bdial,

I shall look out for one.

Right now I have 8" x 10" trays for development, stop and fix. As I was going to buy a tank instead of a print washer (which I don't have), is there a way to rinse without one of those print washing trays with hoses? Or will I need to get one of these before acquiring a tank?

There is other equipment I need to get too, for example, print drying racks.
    A slightly larger tray (11x14?) plus a Kodak tray siphon works well.

I use two trays stacked one over the other. There are holes drilled in one end of the top tray. The water goes into the top tray and then drains into the bottom tray. The prints start in the bottom tray and finish in the top.

You need to check them regularly to make sure they don't stick together.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was under the impression you had to dump it each time as I do with the film developer
    The general advice seems to be that for the "best" performance using tray development that paper developer should only be used for one session. I re-bottle mine and have failed to see any difference in new and 1 week old paper developer. Even 2 week old seems fine, but I don't keep longer than that. There again I do only print a few prints each session so my developer doesn't get fully depleted. I use Ilford multigrade ad also warmtone.

I understand the nova tanks with the floating lids do allow extended chemical working life but have never used one.

There is other equipment I need to get too, for example, print drying racks
    perhaps nice to have, but RC paper dries fine clipped to a line and FB dries super-flat if you tape to a piece of glass using gummed tape (I use a piece of toughened that was the front of an old TV).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin