Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,992   Posts: 1,524,232   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Having an issue with these white spots on the bottom of my negs.

Check these photos I linked to out. I'm having an issue where within a roll of film I have a few but not all images with a big black spot (white on the print) They don't appear to be evenly spaced.

I have three theories on what it could be:

1.) My neckstrap hanging out and getting in front of my lens. I considered this more when I saw it on the first roll but have since developed more rolls from all various times. I think it would be crazy that I have such a habit like this, though not impossible!

2.) Something wrong with my camera. All were shot with a Leica M6, something could happen at a certain aperture, I don't know.

3.) My metal developing tank has a light leak.

All of the times this has occurred the images were shot on a Leica M6 and various films and developers have been used.

Any thoughts. I have some ideas on how to begin testing and eliminating variables but thought someone here might have just seen it already and know what my problem is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131130_000019880005.jpg   20131130_000019880007-2.jpg   20131130_000019880015.jpg   20131130_000019880016.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the black spot on the negative extend into the rebate and sprocket hole area?

Looks like an in camera light leak to me.

Do you use re-loadable film cassettes?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No I don't spool my own.

Wouldn't a light leak in the camera produce this effect on all images, not just some?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And no the black part stops at the frame line

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like a light leak to me from the top of the camera or back somewhere. The most likely place is usually the back, so open it (or flip that folding part out on an M camera) and see if there's something wrong the w/ the seal or the metal on that door or the camera's body. Light leaks are not always consistent. Depends on where the sun is at, where you have your hands at on the camera, which way it's pointing when you took the shot, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The only thing I'm noticing right off the bat is the little cork at the very bottom of the folding part is pretty dry, and has some cracks. Is this a common place that light would leak, and is it fixable by the owner?

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    if the leak stops at the frame line its not coming in the back. Pinhole in shutter curtain?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I guess I'll probably rule out the strap idea, since thinking about it, that should make the negative clear due to no light and print black.

I also suppose it's not a developing tank leak since the light wouldn't stop at the frame lines.

So I guess it is the camera.

What's a good way to check for pinholes? Flashlight in the dark?

Sounds like an expensive fix, oh well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given that it's in the same spot each time, then it's not a problem in the back, nor is it a strap/cap or it'd be black.
    I'm voting for pinhole in the shutter. Try to think back to when you took the photos, were the ones with less leak (like the Smellican), shot sooner after the previous (in which case, less time for a pinhole leak to invade), and the ones with more leak (like the first) had longer time sitting behind the shutter for a pinhole to get that bad?

Or, it's a leak when the shutter is opened, coming from somewhere in the space twixt shutter and lens. Were the worse leaks longer exposure times, and the lesser leaks shorter times?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's a pinhole!

Just got home and shined a light on it. It's right at the top of the shutter which I guess translates to the bottom of the negative. I hadn't thought of the pinhole idea so I'm glad I posted this, thanks everyone!

I'm going to head to Home Depot and try to get some liquid electrical tape cause I heard it works. The camera had a CLA before I bought it about a year and a half ago so I'd rather not send it for a replacement curtain.

What's likely to have caused the hole? I don't use a lens cap but it seems strange that it would burn a tiny hole so far in the top, I also try to keep the lens wide open.

Thanks again, sorry if this ended up in the wrong sub forum, I didn't realize it was going to be more about my Leica then film or processing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin