Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,792   Online: 906

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure we all realise those things, but knowing why things are the way they are doesn't make it any less unpleasant to have to pay over the odds compared to other folk ... especially if one is on a limited income (or no income at all). Almost everything is expensive in the UK, and the pressure is persistently downwards on wages and salaries for most people in real terms.

also it's raining.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I watched BBC last week , amazon want their workers work 10 hours a day and pay 80 pounds a day. If 22 days , it makes 1700 pounds , 2500 dollars per month. And I watched a london home costs 700 000 pounds. Whiskey invented for a reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Economics 101 teaches that you can charge whatever the market will allow. As simple as that.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's high film prices that will drive me to the 'dark side' (if you know what I mean, and you know you know what I mean).

At this point I would normally add a sarcastic comment about the you filthy rich !astards (i.e., those who earn more than USD $20,000 per year!) not wanting to pay their 'fair share' in taxes, but I don't want to cause a 'flame war' from people who can't tell I'm making a joke.

Always with the jokes,

Kris

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in France, most of the time I buy my film from the US. Even with shipping accounted for, it's cheaper than the same film, WITHOUT the shipping included, here in France.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand the anger and frustration.

I suggest that you order several bricks of film from FreeStyle or B&H and store it in the freezer until you are ready to use it. Also see if there is an APUGger near you so that you can combine an order.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    price variations are largely import n duty taxes as well as exchange rates.

I buy a crap load of film, throw it in the freezer. Then the next time I buy I am overwhelmed by future shock.. HOW MUCH?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    price variations are largely import n duty taxes as well as exchange rates.

I buy a crap load of film, throw it in the freezer. Then the next time I buy I am overwhelmed by future shock.. HOW MUCH?
    Well that certainly is what manufacturers want us to believe and what "the market will bear" strategy is not as comfortable for the manufacturer as the " prices are governed by forces beyond our control" argument as this then becomes the unwelcome and less wholesome guest at the feast who is taking advantage of our goodness. It makes the producers just a little bit less loveable and we all like to be loved. Being loved is good for business as well unless the product is a distress purchase when it doesn't matter. To a large extent I fear that analogue material has reached that point where if not a distress purchase i.e. one that you must have and cannot live without, it has got to the inelastic demand point where price matters much less for sales volumes.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think all the people in Europe should check http://www.macodirect.de/
    Their prices are pretty good and I bought film from them and B&H.

As for biggest film market, I think it's still Japan followed by USA. They have more choice of film than any other place in the world and at very good prices, except Ilford is very expensive over there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    the UK is a very expensive place to live
    Sadly, very true. I passed up a chance to live in the UK, which would be a dream come true for me, due to the massive cost of living there. Even though I would have loved to live in the UK, it made NO financial sense whatsoever to make the move.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin