Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,127   Posts: 1,637,090   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Economics 101 teaches that you can charge whatever the market will allow. As simple as that.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's high film prices that will drive me to the 'dark side' (if you know what I mean, and you know you know what I mean).

At this point I would normally add a sarcastic comment about the you filthy rich !astards (i.e., those who earn more than USD $20,000 per year!) not wanting to pay their 'fair share' in taxes, but I don't want to cause a 'flame war' from people who can't tell I'm making a joke.

Always with the jokes,

Kris

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in France, most of the time I buy my film from the US. Even with shipping accounted for, it's cheaper than the same film, WITHOUT the shipping included, here in France.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    price variations are largely import n duty taxes as well as exchange rates.

I buy a crap load of film, throw it in the freezer. Then the next time I buy I am overwhelmed by future shock.. HOW MUCH?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    price variations are largely import n duty taxes as well as exchange rates.

I buy a crap load of film, throw it in the freezer. Then the next time I buy I am overwhelmed by future shock.. HOW MUCH?
    Well that certainly is what manufacturers want us to believe and what "the market will bear" strategy is not as comfortable for the manufacturer as the " prices are governed by forces beyond our control" argument as this then becomes the unwelcome and less wholesome guest at the feast who is taking advantage of our goodness. It makes the producers just a little bit less loveable and we all like to be loved. Being loved is good for business as well unless the product is a distress purchase when it doesn't matter. To a large extent I fear that analogue material has reached that point where if not a distress purchase i.e. one that you must have and cannot live without, it has got to the inelastic demand point where price matters much less for sales volumes.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think all the people in Europe should check http://www.macodirect.de/
    Their prices are pretty good and I bought film from them and B&H.

As for biggest film market, I think it's still Japan followed by USA. They have more choice of film than any other place in the world and at very good prices, except Ilford is very expensive over there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    the UK is a very expensive place to live
    Sadly, very true. I passed up a chance to live in the UK, which would be a dream come true for me, due to the massive cost of living there. Even though I would have loved to live in the UK, it made NO financial sense whatsoever to make the move.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's raining here in my part of Florida too, AND it's cold. The high tomorrow will be a frigid 70 degrees. It's tough all over.

There have been some enlightening reasons on the high cost of film in different places. The consensus seems to be that this is mainly due to higher wages and better benefits being paid to workers in other countries, along w/ higher taxes and transportation costs. Along w/ the old economic truism that companies will charge as much as their markets will allow them to charge. Since that is not going to change, the only recourse would be, as has been suggested, to go in w/ some cohorts and order a LOT of film from Freestyle, then stick it in the freezer. Even if that means putting it on a credit card, the interest on that would be small change.

Shooter
    35mm
    70F ?!?! We might have that next June, if we are lucky (I'm not joking unfortunately). On the positive side, there are fewer alligators here.

Regarding costs of living, I left UK to move to NL largely because there seemed to be a better match between earnings and house prices. Most materials are now ordered from German online-stores, though some items are still more practical from UK oddly enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It must be tough to have to wear a sweater all day in December. That is like a cold snap Los Angeles. I can understand.
    Spare a thought for us over here, 40C by thursday (that's 104F to you guys on the archaic system). Can't go out film shooting, it'll be expired by the time I've finished the roll.
    And yeah, London's expensive, what my sister pays in rent for a damp basement 2br flat in Hammersmith is what I pay on my mortgage for a 4br standalone house 2km from Adelaide city-centre and 4km from the beach (which is where I'll be going on thursday arvo).

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Regarding costs of living, I left UK to move to NL largely because there seemed to be a better match between earnings and house prices.
    Depends where you are, of course. When I was there, the rent on my 44m² 1 bedroom (with a bathroom so small that the door didn't shut when I sat on the can) in The Hague cost me about 1/3 of my monthly earnings...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin