Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,016   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's raining here in my part of Florida too, AND it's cold. The high tomorrow will be a frigid 70 degrees. It's tough all over.

There have been some enlightening reasons on the high cost of film in different places. The consensus seems to be that this is mainly due to higher wages and better benefits being paid to workers in other countries, along w/ higher taxes and transportation costs. Along w/ the old economic truism that companies will charge as much as their markets will allow them to charge. Since that is not going to change, the only recourse would be, as has been suggested, to go in w/ some cohorts and order a LOT of film from Freestyle, then stick it in the freezer. Even if that means putting it on a credit card, the interest on that would be small change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    It's raining here in my part of Florida too, AND it's cold. The high tomorrow will be a frigid 70 degrees. It's tough all over.
    It must be tough to have to wear a sweater all day in December. That is like a cold snap Los Angeles. I can understand.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    70F ?!?! We might have that next June, if we are lucky (I'm not joking unfortunately). On the positive side, there are fewer alligators here.

Regarding costs of living, I left UK to move to NL largely because there seemed to be a better match between earnings and house prices. Most materials are now ordered from German online-stores, though some items are still more practical from UK oddly enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It must be tough to have to wear a sweater all day in December. That is like a cold snap Los Angeles. I can understand.
    Spare a thought for us over here, 40C by thursday (that's 104F to you guys on the archaic system). Can't go out film shooting, it'll be expired by the time I've finished the roll.
    And yeah, London's expensive, what my sister pays in rent for a damp basement 2br flat in Hammersmith is what I pay on my mortgage for a 4br standalone house 2km from Adelaide city-centre and 4km from the beach (which is where I'll be going on thursday arvo).

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Regarding costs of living, I left UK to move to NL largely because there seemed to be a better match between earnings and house prices.
    Depends where you are, of course. When I was there, the rent on my 44m² 1 bedroom (with a bathroom so small that the door didn't shut when I sat on the can) in The Hague cost me about 1/3 of my monthly earnings...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having moved from the UK to Australia, I can say that the cost differential to the UK is quite significant. Australia is a lot cheaper a place to live. Taxes are only the beginning.

Rent is a lot less here, my much nicer house, twice the size of my UK one, costs less than half what the UK one did to rent. Transport costs less, food costs less, even furniture and some electronics costs less. In the UK, you don't just bear a higher tax burden, but everything costs that little bit more, and that makes a business cost more to run, and therefore the prices it charges must be higher.

I don't criticize the UK for this, it's high taxes and high costs do probably reflect in a higher level of public service. The price has to be paid somewhere though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here in the UK there is a supplier in Lancashire selling HP5 via mail order for the equivalent of USD 7.17 per 36 roll and Tri-X for USD 7.00 so there are some cheaper places to source film though it still doesn't explain the discrepancy with US prices. I've been buying film from Germany recently as it's still slightly cheaper than the UK even with shipping.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
    Here in the UK... some cheaper places to source film though it still doesn't explain the discrepancy with US prices...
    Here in the US, we have very cheap labor rules. Northern European countries have interesting things like required paid maternity leave for a YEAR! They have health care for everyone; yes, FREE health care for everyone. My experience is from what I have observed from regular visits to Denmark over the last 10 years.

In the USA, your standard of living is up to your employer, basically.
    In the USA the minimum wage requires that you need food stamps depending on where you live.

Paying for the higher base standard of living = more expensive film.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The realities of the distribution system are as important as all the factors mentioned above.

Kodak used to be its own distributor. Prices were relatively stable, because with the exception of shipping costs and tariffs, most of the retailers could purchase film for the same price as other retailers.

Now that there are intervening middle wholesale vendors, prices are all over the map.

The US distributor that sells Ilford to B &H sells it for less than Harman or its distributors sells to UK retailers.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense. Even figuring in the inclusive taxes of England and France, there is still a huge discrepancy.
    France and England have the same sales tax rate, and yet Tri-X is almost $1.30 a roll less in France than it is in England.
    Luckily, I'll be in Toronto for a couple of months, and can buy my film in New York and have it sent to me there.
    It looks like it's every man for himself.
    When you get that all figured out, move on to pricing discrepencies of petroleum products between countries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are differences that are not easily explainable by distribution costs and taxes.

But are you comparing "apples to apples" when it comes to the retailers? For example, B&H will be a lot cheaper than a smaller retailer in another part of New York.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin