Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,617   Posts: 1,647,697   Online: 796

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Here in the UK there is a supplier in Lancashire selling HP5 via mail order for the equivalent of USD 7.17 per 36 roll and Tri-X for USD 7.00 so there are some cheaper places to source film though it still doesn't explain the discrepancy with US prices. I've been buying film from Germany recently as it's still slightly cheaper than the UK even with shipping.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
    Here in the UK... some cheaper places to source film though it still doesn't explain the discrepancy with US prices...
    Here in the US, we have very cheap labor rules. Northern European countries have interesting things like required paid maternity leave for a YEAR! They have health care for everyone; yes, FREE health care for everyone. My experience is from what I have observed from regular visits to Denmark over the last 10 years.

In the USA, your standard of living is up to your employer, basically.
    In the USA the minimum wage requires that you need food stamps depending on where you live.

Paying for the higher base standard of living = more expensive film.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The realities of the distribution system are as important as all the factors mentioned above.

Kodak used to be its own distributor. Prices were relatively stable, because with the exception of shipping costs and tariffs, most of the retailers could purchase film for the same price as other retailers.

Now that there are intervening middle wholesale vendors, prices are all over the map.

The US distributor that sells Ilford to B &H sells it for less than Harman or its distributors sells to UK retailers.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense. Even figuring in the inclusive taxes of England and France, there is still a huge discrepancy.
    France and England have the same sales tax rate, and yet Tri-X is almost $1.30 a roll less in France than it is in England.
    Luckily, I'll be in Toronto for a couple of months, and can buy my film in New York and have it sent to me there.
    It looks like it's every man for himself.
    When you get that all figured out, move on to pricing discrepencies of petroleum products between countries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are differences that are not easily explainable by distribution costs and taxes.

But are you comparing "apples to apples" when it comes to the retailers? For example, B&H will be a lot cheaper than a smaller retailer in another part of New York.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    local temp is 40F
    Whisky is not cheap here but you can make it yourself in the vernacular it is called 'the wee still' not poteen!
    Lots of the film I use was imported by people who have just gone to dark side... or expired surveillance film may need to start importing soon.
    In local shop Ilford and Kodak 135 is the same price.
    HP5, XP2, BW400CN all 135... so it is not manufacture or distribution... this is termed 'mug punter'.
    and Australia are teaching us to white wash.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the most relevant points contributed are the local cost of wages, taxes and property. In the UK and France, (where I live most of the time), there is a 20% tax included, whereas in New York, there is a small sales tax added afterwards, and then only if you live in the state. If it's shipped out, there isn't even that small amount.
    Also, yes, the social services like free medical coverage enjoyed in Canada and Europe definitely costs a fair bit and the money has to come from somewhere. Property probably mixes in, but the lowest prices are places like Adorama, and I don't think you're going to buy their or B&H's buildings in New York City with leftover beer money.
    I checked out Macodirect in Germany, and they are competitive. Also, there are good discounts available here in France if I buy 50 rolls at a time, which is no problem.
    Isn't it all good fun?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I may suggest contact Rob at Big Camera. He advertises here from time to time and is located just outside of Toronto. He is well stocked in film, chemicals and paper as well as LF cameras. He is very honest and ships very quickly. I now use him exclusively. If you have trouble finding him, PM me and I will give you the contacts. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Sydney, the biggest city in Australia, there are very few stores still carrying film and those they do usually have a pitiful, straggle of orphan boxes in a dingy corner somewhere. I usually buy from B&H or Freestyle 30 or 40 rolls at a time in various formats. Recently I had to make an emergency purchase as my latest order was in transit. The last 2 rolls of FP4 on the shelf for $15 Canadian each. Gulp.
    Count your lucky stars, but I would still rather live here :-)
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    35mm
    Having been through over 50 Canadian winters, I can see why you'd rather live in Sydney.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin