Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,279   Online: 854

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    local temp is 40F
    Whisky is not cheap here but you can make it yourself in the vernacular it is called 'the wee still' not poteen!
    Lots of the film I use was imported by people who have just gone to dark side... or expired surveillance film may need to start importing soon.
    In local shop Ilford and Kodak 135 is the same price.
    HP5, XP2, BW400CN all 135... so it is not manufacture or distribution... this is termed 'mug punter'.
    and Australia are teaching us to white wash.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the most relevant points contributed are the local cost of wages, taxes and property. In the UK and France, (where I live most of the time), there is a 20% tax included, whereas in New York, there is a small sales tax added afterwards, and then only if you live in the state. If it's shipped out, there isn't even that small amount.
    Also, yes, the social services like free medical coverage enjoyed in Canada and Europe definitely costs a fair bit and the money has to come from somewhere. Property probably mixes in, but the lowest prices are places like Adorama, and I don't think you're going to buy their or B&H's buildings in New York City with leftover beer money.
    I checked out Macodirect in Germany, and they are competitive. Also, there are good discounts available here in France if I buy 50 rolls at a time, which is no problem.
    Isn't it all good fun?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I may suggest contact Rob at Big Camera. He advertises here from time to time and is located just outside of Toronto. He is well stocked in film, chemicals and paper as well as LF cameras. He is very honest and ships very quickly. I now use him exclusively. If you have trouble finding him, PM me and I will give you the contacts. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Sydney, the biggest city in Australia, there are very few stores still carrying film and those they do usually have a pitiful, straggle of orphan boxes in a dingy corner somewhere. I usually buy from B&H or Freestyle 30 or 40 rolls at a time in various formats. Recently I had to make an emergency purchase as my latest order was in transit. The last 2 rolls of FP4 on the shelf for $15 Canadian each. Gulp.
    Count your lucky stars, but I would still rather live here :-)
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    35mm
    Having been through over 50 Canadian winters, I can see why you'd rather live in Sydney.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    I think all the people in Europe should check http://www.macodirect.de/
    Their prices are pretty good and I bought film from them and B&H.
    Not really that good.. Delta 400 in bulk 100' (30.5 meters) is 75 eur PLUS shipping from Maco… Shipping from Germany to France is about 14-18 euros.

Same stuff; Adorama + USPS Priority Intl. : 92.00 USD = 67 EUR

Next time I'll drop two of those 100' rolls in the box, will stay under the max weight for the same shipping rate, and save even more...

Sad but true!

Cheers
    JF
    Last edited by Felinik; 12-17-2013 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    Well it seems that jimbop from the U.K. on another thread believes that he has figured out film pricing. He intends to buy it from Freestyle in the U.S. instead of U.K. retailers! The savings may not be as big as he hopes but I wish him well and I detect some small signs that the massive price differential between the U.S. and the U.K. and Europe is beginning to be appreciated by a bigger number of APUGers than I had previously detected.

So far I have yet to see any kind of rigorous defence that justifies this difference in price on straight incontrovertible economic facts.

However unless some individual or company can undertake mass importation and take advantage of the economics of scale the benefits to the average user's film and other materials volume may mean that the effort of ordering from the U.S. is not matched or barely matched by the reward.

That conclusion will also be the one drawn by the manufacturer(s) and in a nutshell means or so they think, that it will never be more than a small irritation to them.

However I do hope that this rise in user concern over price differentials will at least make the manufacturer(s) think.

I will not however hold my breath

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a look at http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...estyle-us.html may be you can combine your order with his.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Pentaxuser and Sirius... it was reading this thread in the first place that got me thinking about how the disparity in film prices might play out across other consumables too.

Having read through the tomes of information provided by HMRC, I reckon that you're assertion that the savings might not be that great are correct.

It would seem that the only way to benefit from ordering from overseas would be to order in small quantities (you pay customs duty on stated order values of >£135 and VAT on anything over £15).
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Higher taxes, duties, etc. Europe has to pay for its free healthcare somehow.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin