Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,322   Online: 906

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was in the UK, and considering buying Bike(motorcycle) gear -helmets, riding suit etc.,, I was shocked to see everything cost twice as much as it did in the US(all things being manufactured in China). Soon figured out the reason - retailers basically removed the $ sign next to the price and substituted the £ sign. Accounted for most of the difference.
    I saw similar things on camera related goods.(although less that way)
    I suspect the same has happened with the film. 5$ becomes 5£.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    When I was in the UK, and considering buying Bike(motorcycle) gear -helmets, riding suit etc.,, I was shocked to see everything cost twice as much as it did in the US(all things being manufactured in China). Soon figured out the reason - retailers basically removed the $ sign next to the price and substituted the £ sign. Accounted for most of the difference.
    I saw similar things on camera related goods.(although less that way)
    I suspect the same has happened with the film. 5$ becomes 5£.

Sent from Tap-a-talk
    I've seen this on small value items - especially items that cost "1" (whether $, £, €).

European countries rely more on VAT tax which increases the cost of items where the US relies more on income taxes. Plus sales taxes, but they are not collected on mail order (yet). On top of that, you're looking at US retailers (B&H, Freestyle) that are significantly cheaper than local US retailers.

I remember "way back when" that Japanese cameras were cheaper in the US than in Japan (when they were still manufactured in Japan).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    However I do hope that this rise in user concern over price differentials will at least make the manufacturer(s) think.
    I would be very surprised if the wholesale price of materials ex-works from any manufacturer varies that much no matter where the product ends up. May be some scales for volumes, but I doubt different prices for different markets.

The difference in end-user price is certainly going to be the local factors including the elements that cover overheads and this will be different in each country. Similarly sales tax/VAT are treated differently.

Ultimately the manufacturers shift the same amount of product wherever it is bought from.

We must be careful what we wish for. At the moment we have some interested retailers who are offering a selection of products from US, UK, EU, RU. If we pick and choose where we buy the volume from to the extent that these retailers can't cover their overhead, then we lose the ability to have local easy access to an interesting range of products, and we could end up with the choice of importing or buying from the likes of amazon. I thing Aus/NZ is in a far worse situation than UK as far as I can tell in this respect.

We have already lost the local high-street shop to on-line. We risk losing the local (country) on-line as well if we are not careful.

Yes, this is a philosophical point of view and when it comes to spending your own money, it is sometimes difficult to be altruistic, but "use it or lose it" is as true today as it's ever been.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they have to pay for it, how can it be free?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Higher taxes, duties, etc. Europe has to pay for its free healthcare somehow.
    I would respectfully contend that this catch-all statement may be too simplistic. Tis true we have a VAT(value added tax) in the U.K. of 20% and many European countries are similar but the VAT v U.S. state sales taxes which are lower doesn't appear to account for the difference. As far as personal taxation is concerned which does clearly help to pay for free healthcare, I cannot see the link with higher Ilford, Kodak etc prices

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still find it hard to understand why so many in the US use "free health care" as a term of disapprobation (if not abuse)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I still find it hard to understand why so many in the US use "free health care" as a term of disapprobation (if not abuse)
    H L Mencken "No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the record for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I would respectfully contend that this catch-all statement may be too simplistic. Tis true we have a VAT(value added tax) in the U.K. of 20% and many European countries are similar but the VAT v U.S. state sales taxes which are lower doesn't appear to account for the difference. As far as personal taxation is concerned which does clearly help to pay for free healthcare, I cannot see the link with higher Ilford, Kodak etc prices

pentaxuser
    I think that the higher retail taxes are only a part of it. Could it be that overhead in business operations have something to do with it as well?

To echo mr rusty above, all we see compared here is what the films sell for in retail. Presumably each seller, regardless of where they are located, would require a certain amount of profit on each sale to insure a healthy margin.
    What we don't know is what Ilford charges the resellers in each of the countries, and that's the number that should be compared to get a true comparison across these countries. The retail price of an item does not necessarily compare well to the actual cost of the item.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    We must be careful what we wish for. At the moment we have some interested retailers who are offering a selection of products from US, UK, EU, RU. If we pick and choose where we buy the volume from to the extent that these retailers can't cover their overhead, then we lose the ability to have local easy access to an interesting range of products, and we could end up with the choice of importing or buying from the likes of amazon. I thing Aus/NZ is in a far worse situation than UK as far as I can tell in this respect.

We have already lost the local high-street shop to on-line. We risk losing the local (country) on-line as well if we are not careful.

Yes, this is a philosophical point of view and when it comes to spending your own money, it is sometimes difficult to be altruistic, but "use it or lose it" is as true today as it's ever been.

If this would end up in an EU-wide cheap online store with overnight shipping options, and 3-day shipping cheap, with full stock of everything, I'd prefer this any day of the week. As for now I turn to Freestyle, Adorama and BH anyway...

This has happened in the music industry (studio/recording/instruments) where the German online superstore Thomann.de is the market dominator in retail, and the are BY FAR honoring their slogan; Better, Faster, Cheaper..

I don't say this is ideal, but rather a great cheap online store than no option at all...
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To echo mr rusty above, all we see compared here is what the films sell for in retail. Presumably each seller, regardless of where they are located, would require a certain amount of profit on each sale to insure a healthy margin.
    What we don't know is what Ilford charges the resellers in each of the countries, and that's the number that should be compared to get a true comparison across these countries. The retail price of an item does not necessarily compare well to the actual cost of the item.
    All true Thomas and what Ilford or any other maker charges is key to this issue and it's the price we are unlikely ever to know. However if we assume that there are sufficient retailers in the U.K. to get us close to competition and I think this is a fair assumption, then if each and every one of these retailers charges more than in the U.S. then it suggests that Ilford or any other maker's price to those retailers leads to the need to charge a higher retail price by all the U.K retailers.

I continue to remain sceptical about external(outside the control of the producer) circumstances explaining the U.S. v U.K. differential

Nice to see you helping to keep this thread on track. Let's make sure it doesn't become a discussion about the pros and cons of a European "free health service" versus the U.S version. That's for the Lounge

pentaxuser

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin