Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,789   Online: 704

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Well for one thing, my Mamiya 645 backs have holders for the box ends as film reminders, much as many 35mm cameras do. Kodak's move to only selling Tri-X in ProPacks means I don't have the "TX" box tops to put in those reminder holders. Same for Portra and Ektar. I do have them for Ilford films and even my stash of IR820 Efke.
    I made my own sticky labels. And as you indicated not all cameras got that "flap" holder, though one can make one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    From what I know this film is a continuous tone film, it does not need a low contrast developer like ATP does to obtain good results.

My wish is : I hope it's a better film than PanF which is the bad duck in the Ilford range. But as I have not tested it yet, I can't say it right now.

Let's wait please I'll receive the first stock next week Then you'll be welcome to order them in my shop, if you want
    "bad duck"?

What on Earth do you mean? ILFORD PAN F Plus is a superb film. My only regret I that it is not available in sheet sizes. I do hope that Rollei RPX 25 is a good film and that it eventually is made in sheets, 4x5 and 8x10 would be a good start...

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Roger, I'm sure there is the "TX" somewhere of the Propack box that you can cut out and use as a reminder.
    Well in practice I just saved some of the old ones. I've also written on the back of ones torn from other brands of film to mark for ones I don't have, including some I got in a big box of expired film off eBay. But the point stands - that's one advantage of a box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Well for one thing, my Mamiya 645 backs have holders for the box ends as film reminders, much as many 35mm cameras do. Kodak's move to only selling Tri-X in ProPacks means I don't have the "TX" box tops to put in those reminder holders. Same for Portra and Ektar. I do have them for Ilford films and even my stash of IR820 Efke.
    Aint this why they make memory card wallets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mV9HGCSys10SVIK46oomGBQ.jpg  
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    "bad duck"?

What on Earth do you mean? ILFORD PAN F Plus is a superb film. My only regret I that it is not available in sheet sizes. I do hope that Rollei RPX 25 is a good film and that it eventually is made in sheets, 4x5 and 8x10 would be a good start...

RR
    I think he wishes he wouldn't have made that statement even if it might have been subjective! PanF might be a little quirky, but it's no "dog" or as he says, "bad duck". Now this is what I call a bad/dead duck..................
    Your Duck is Dead-- A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away." The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the vet.. "How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something." The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room. He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head. The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room. A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck." The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.. The duck's owner, still in shock, :took the bill. "$150!" she cried, "$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!" The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been $20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now $150.
    Just a little humor to lighten a very dull day here in SW lower Michigan! JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I agree but roll films are round and a cardboard box makes them rectangular - being beneficial for packaging, shipping, storing, etc
    For a part I agree:

Retail:
    -) a additional label for the shelves is needed
    -) for a standard shelf rectangular boxes are benefitial, though one can even stack plastic canisters
    -) with those shelves with X-arranged boards (the classic form of film presentation over here) one can lay canisters, but versions with wider rim have to be placed alternating
    -) for those oblique shelves with rims it does not matter

Wholesale or post-order company:
    -) the films are grabbed out of a large cardboard box anyway
    -) I don't know whether rectangular boxes are benefitial for further packing

User:
    -) films are more easy to differentiate when further packaged in rectangular boxes

Manufacturers:
    -) for large volume manufacturers as Agfa or Ferrania it did not matter aside of the little additional cost
    (Ferrania even used their offer of custmoized packaging as as special feature of their sales.)
    -) for a manufacturer as Adox of today additional rectangular cardboard packaging would be major issue

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    ... Harman have given the reassurance that none will be discontinued, they are quality and consistent products, and, while nothing is guaranteed for ever, I have met some of the Directors and Managers and believe their honesty and dedication.
    yes agreed, however what they (ilford/harman) have said technically is that they would not cancel any films that they could support through purchases, what this translates to is that so long as there is a market of purchasers to cover the cost of producing the film, it will still be produced, however if the market drops out and there aren't enough people to support the finance of a particular film or line of product, they will still have to pull it from the market, I know this seems logical but a lot of film guys still demand film to be produced even if there's no profit margin and don't want to understand all of the finance end of things. If for some reason as an example Delta100 stops selling, they will cancel that line, they will continue to sell the other films, but just will not sell that any longer it's just not sustainable for them and that's a smart and reasonable business decision. Of course that's not really going to happen with the Delta series probably, just an example.

I know that much of this frustration and speculation come from years of "abuse" by kodak for killing films that were still selling but just weren't selling AS MUCH and they pull them in favor of a new emulsion when people were generally happy with the old emulsion, but I think for the most part companies are simply looking to produce a product that sells and will sell it as long as people buy it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ...I think for the most part companies are simply looking to produce a product that sells and will sell it as long as people buy it...

RR

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Haha

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin