Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,739   Online: 880

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New film - Rollei RPX 25

I just wonder why it is always so hard to get definitive, direct statements and proof on so many of these if they are truly new emulsions or not. Always seems to be hemming and hawing when those in the know are asked. Why can't someone directly say: "This is a completely new emulsion, made from scratch. We made it. It's NOT just some repackaging of other film."

Without that I always suspect it just another film being renamed and repackaged under some other name.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I just wonder why it is always so hard to get definitive, direct statements and proof on so many of these if they are truly new emulsions or not. Always seems to be hemming and hawing when those in the know are asked. Why can't someone directly say: "This is a completely new emulsion, made from scratch. We made it. It's NOT just some repackaging of other film."

Without that I always suspect it just another film being renamed and repackaged under some other name.
    Why should that be a problem?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Why should that be a problem?
    On the same basis that the human race values transparency and being honest?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm

+1
    Canon FD &EF, Mamiya AF, Nikon, Pentax, Praktica, Minolta

Shooter
    Medium Format

If Ilford is involved as with the other RPXes, they are not allowed by contract to talk about any production detail. The same should be for other manufacturers and retailers. Only exeption I know is Agfa Belgium, they can't "cannibalize" (hope that's understandable) their own products because there are none made for consumers. And still Maco makes a secret about which emulsion in detail is in the package, see RR400s, 400ir, superpan200, universal200 and so on and so on, they most probably are all the same.
    Last edited by grommi; 12-21-2013 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've ordered some from Maco and will report back when I've used it. I just hope that someone soon gets some slow panchromatic film out in sheet sizes, 4x5 and 8x10 at least...

RR

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    From Stones remark about Harman film production above, I think he is missing the point somewhat. If one of their products sales was going downhill for some reason, I strongly suspect that they would be very agile about finding out why and then fixing the problem or developing the product further. They are not a massive, sleepy company with some cobwebs over a pile of film they have in a shed
    Yes I agree, of course ilford would do whatever they could to keep the product around, however if the product just doesn't sell it doesn't sell, and there's nothing they can do about it and they have to pull it, they just recently pulled a type of print paper, I don't know what type but they pulled it and explained that the sales have dropped below an amount that they could reasonably produce it and so they had to pull it and apologize of course, but reassured people that they would still produce many many amazing papers and film for a very long time as long as it was sustainable.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you prefer the cigar style box: http://static.photo.net/attachments/...R-25646984.jpg
    What benefits do you get from such a packaging?
    WOW!
    A free pinhole camera with your film!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00DXwR-25646984.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	78862 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPX101D_350.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	78863
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yes I agree, of course ilford would do whatever they could to keep the product around, however if the product just doesn't sell it doesn't sell, and there's nothing they can do about it and they have to pull it, they just recently pulled a type of print paper, I don't know what type but they pulled it and explained that the sales have dropped below an amount that they could reasonably produce it and so they had to pull it and apologize of course, but reassured people that they would still produce many many amazing papers and film for a very long time as long as it was sustainable.

Firstly, your comment is vague and imprecise. When anyone does go looking for information, or browse through this thread by chance, your post falls in the "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt" category. Widely used by marketing departments in order to damage sales of competitors products -- many people find this sort of meaningless comment to be mildly offensive in a knowledge based forum.

Secondly, "Ilford" were a company which has gone bankrupt in the last couple of months and was based in Switzerland. They have no connection to Kentmere photographic products.

Thirdly, the fact which you carefully left out of your post, whether through accident or design, are that in July this year Harman announced that the coating volume of Kentmere Fineprint VC was below economic levels and the material was not going to survive. There was the possibility of one more run if the demand was there. Minimal fact-checking by you would have led to the APUG thread HERE.

Fourthly, Harman have always said that they will do their utmost not to cancel an IlfordPhoto product. The Kentmere papers are legacies of the well respected range of products from a competitor of Harman, which they bought when its own parent group decided to concentrate on their main packaging-materials business, back in 2007. The coating of the materials was moved to Mobberley and most of the products continued, with gradual changes as the brand was used to assist Harman in covering different parts of the overall photographic market.

Fifthly, for some reason you did not mention the replacement cold-tone product from Harman, ANNOUNCED recently, which looks like a large improvement on the discontinued material and most likely played a part in the discontinuation of the older Kentmere product. There is also a rather large thread HERE on APUG about the range of improved papers Harman have just introduced.

Sixthly, regarding contract-produced products in general, it is completely normal for the parties to a production contract to be covered by non-disclosure agreements. This works throughout industry and not just in the photographic world. In some cases just one side of the contract wants the clause, in other cases both parties do - the reasons are often lost in the depths of a marketing or legal department somewhere. Assuming that suppliers of photographic materials are constructing some especially awful conspiracy might be considered somewhat irrational.

Shooter
    35mm
    You should be at least precise when criticising others, MartinP: Ilford Imaging Switzerland has gone bankrupt not Ilford Photo, which is a Harman Technology company. The way you wrote is misleading.
    Canon FD &EF, Mamiya AF, Nikon, Pentax, Praktica, Minolta

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin