Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,295   Posts: 1,681,442   Online: 902

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    to prepare a big order for the coming year
    Don't know how big, but if it was me and the real world saving including import duty was still significant, I would note the two calculations out on an email and send them to your usual UK supplier and see if they want to price match. At the end of the day pricing isn't just about margin, but also stock turnover and wastage. I am pleased that we do have 3-4 pretty good stockists in the UK and think they should be supported. It's quite likely that the UK stockists would do a deal on a big order.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Import duty in the UK seems the same as VAT. I'd probably second the advice to buy from within the EU, as that means no import duty/tax.
    Import duty and VAT are diferent things.
    If you import something from outside your VAT Zone (in this case the EU) you have to pay that VAT extra.

The import duty is a fee that is product related and designed to control import of sort of goods and can vary widely.

In general you have to pay both, VAT and import duty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that's a rather good idea, mr rusty.
    good business is also often about good relationships & it is a bit tricker to have a relationship with a US company in LA than (e.g.) Matt at Ag if you are in the UK.
    Even if a UK supplier can't price-match to the nearest penny, one question I'd ask myself is "Is it worth sending the business abroad for the sake of 10p/roll? 50p/roll? £1/roll?".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My wife doesn't like it when I do this in shops, but I do it regularly when there is a big saving to be made but I would rather keep the business local. Have never done it with photo gear as I don't spend enough to make it worthwhile, but not so long ago knocked £1K off some granite tiles at "Topps Tiles" because I showed I could buy identical elsewhere. At the end of the day turnover is turnover and margin is margin and not many businesses will cut their noses off given the choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Ha ha! I don't know why, but this post reminded me of a quote by Nursie in Blackadder II:

Nursie: You're so clever today, you better be careful your foot doesn't fall off.
    Queen: Does that happen when you have lots of brilliant ideas? Your foot falls off?
    Nursie: It certainly does. My brother, he had this brilliant idea of cutting his toenails with a scythe, and his foot fell off.

Back to the point - having done the number crunching, using the dutycalculator website, its probably only going to save me a fiver (ish), so not really worth it in the long-run. I pretty much exclusively use Ag-photographic for my stuff, so I'll see if they can do better than their list price for larger orders (I remember taking advantage of this when Kodak Ultra Endura cut sheets were available).
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm living in France and I used to order films and paper to Freestyle. Even with the customs taxes, the VAT and others fees, it still around 20% less than buying the same items in Europe.
    What am I buying ? Ilford film and Kentmere paper.
    The next question : why these articles are more expensive in Europe than in USA ?
    I still have no answer !

Shooter
    35mm
    Have a look at B+H In New York. They have an option to prepay custom/import charges. When I priced some 30m bulk rolls of hp5 it was cheaper to buy from across the Atlantic than it was from AG who are less than 2 hours drive from the Ilford factory.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Price-making is not as simple as counting up production costs, margin and taxes. It also depends on the market, the local competitor and the prices the local consumer will accept.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbop View Post
    Back to the point - having done the number crunching, using the dutycalculator website, its probably only going to save me a fiver (ish), so not really worth it in the long-run.
    Did this include the "clearance" fee ?
    I bought some Nikon cassettes from the USA as well as the VAT Parcelforce aded £8 (vat free!!!)

A lens from Germany sailed through in two days.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer not a job description - a diagnosis.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I get the bulk of my bulk film from people converting to digital, any one thinking to convert soon?

I get nervous when I get below 1000feet of any film type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin