Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,427   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kalogen: Not Just for Paper Development?

Hi All,

I've been trying out a formula for paper development called Kalogen. Ostensibly, it can be used as a film developer, with results similar to Rodinal using a 1+50 dilution level. Would the times be similar to that of Rodinal at 1+50 dilution? Has anyone an experience using Kalogen as a film develper? If you could share your results, I would very much appreciate it.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whoa! I've been looking, with a great deal of interest, into this developer also. You can do a search and come up with a few hits, but nothing like you get back when search a developer like Rodinal. It certainly doesn't sound that hard to brew up and the plus fact is that it can be a film or paper developer. Maybe when I have nothing to do during the Feb. doldrums here in Michigan I'll make some up and give it a go. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I posted the Kalogen formula on APUG some years ago. I recently received a private message concerning its keeping properties. When comparing the original formula with that published in the Dignan Newsletter it seems that the author adjusted the ratio of Metol to hydroquinone without adjusting the amount of sodium hydroxide. The Dignan formula therefore contains too much hydroxide so I offer this modification. Add the hydroxide slowly with stirring until the precipitate just dissolves. At this point stop adding the hydroxide. Then continue on as usual. This method then resembles that used to prepare Rodinal.

I don't use a developer exactly the same as that published. As a starting point I would try a development time for films 1+59 of 5 - 7 m at 20C.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-17-2013 at 11:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I posted the Kalogen formula on APUG some years ago. I recently received a private message concerning its keeping properties. When comparing the original formula with that published in the Dignan Newsletter it seems that the author adjusted the ratio of Metol to hydroquinone without adjusting the amount of sodium hydroxide. The Dignan formula therefore contains too much hydroxide so I offer this modification. Add the hydroxide slowly with stirring until the precipitate just dissolves. At this point stop adding the hydroxide. Then continue on as usual. This method then resembles that used to prepare Rodinal.

I don't use a developer exactly the same as that published. As a starting point I would try a development time for films 1+59 of 5 - 7 m at 20C.
    Yes, I remember reading it and also the controversy about who and exactly when it was invented. So, if one stops at just the right time with the Hydroxide addition do you thing the shelf life would be near that of the original Rodinal? JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably not as long as the legendary Rodinal or HC-110 but still better than other developers I have used. I have had the last inch or so in a bottle last for a year. It got vary dark but still worked. Freshly made and in a stoppered PET bottle it is unchanged now for over 7 yrs. As with Rrodinal preparation it is important that there be no excess hydroxide present.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably not as long as the legendary Rodinal or HC-110 but still better than other developers I have used. I have had the last inch or so in a bottle last for a year. It got vary dark but still worked. Freshly made and in a stoppered PET bottle it is unchanged now for over 7 yrs. As with Rrodinal preparation it is important that there be no excess hydroxide present.
    Now that sounds like excellent shelf life to me! After the holidays I'm going to mix a batch to play with. Jerry, I might be picking your brain for a little info when I start using it. Have a Merry Christmas! JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Dignan formula therefore contains too much hydroxide so I offer this modification. Add the hydroxide slowly with stirring until the precipitate just dissolves. At this point stop adding the hydroxide. Then continue on as usual. .
    I do like that you offer this subjective method here, and have in the past been quite admonitory about using a subjective method for making metaborate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I do like that you offer this subjective method here, and have in the past been quite admonitory about using a subjective method for making metaborate
    The end point that I suggested for Kalogen is the same that has been used for decades for Rodinal. It is distinct and independent of temperature. The same cannot be said or what happens when making metaborate. An error in the amount of sodium hydroxide in the metaborate solution can have serious consequences for certain developer formulations. So there is no contradiction.

There is an additional problem with the method used to make metaborate as gien on the web. Borax IS soluble in water. If you add sodium hydroxide until the slurry of borax just dissolves this does not take into account the borax that was already in solution when you started. The method is very imprecise. That is why I advocated weighing things out in this case. For Kalogen and Rodinal the solid IS NOT soluble in water so this kind of error does not occur.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-19-2013 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you add sodium hydroxide until the slurry of borax just dissolves this does not take into account the borax that was already in solution when you started.
    The line given above should read as given below for clarity.

If you add sodium hydroxide until the slurry of borax just dissolves this does not take into account an amount of borax equal to that which was already in solution when you started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerald, thank-you for clarifying.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin