Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,891   Online: 979

Shooter
    Medium Format

Warm Tone Fiber Papers, looking for advice

I have been printing a series of industrial photos that look best printed on warm tone paper. I discovered Fomatone #333 MG Velvet RC paper which is a very warm semi-gloss RC variable contrast paper. The prints look great printed on Fomatone, but ultimately I am looking for a fiber paper that matches the look on this RC paper.

I have been using LPD developer 1:2. Films are Tri-x 120 and 35mm. I have tried Ilford WT developer and cannot see any difference with the LPD product.

I have tried the following fiber papers which are not very warm compared to the Foma product mentioned above. These are: Ilford warm tone, Bergger VCCB (variable warm glossy), and Adox FP Variotone G ("premium warm tone").

Note, according to the data sheet, the Fomatone paper is made with a chlorobromide emulsion. It is very slow, intended for contact work, but can be used for enlarging. I also find it very contrasty, about 1 to 1-1/2 grades more contrast than Adox MCP310 RC paper.

Any ideas on what other Fiber papers would be worth trying? The only toning I have ever done is with selenium. Any other toners to try?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My experience with Adox FP Variotone Warmtone is that it does become quite warm in selenium. I use Kodak selenium toner approx. 1+9 for 3-5 minutes. If toned to completion (10-20 min) it turned very warm, essentially brown. I used Harman (Ilford) WT developer. I realize that this is all subjective and I don't know the Fomatone paper. What selenium toner were you using, dilution and for how long did you tone? May try again and tone longer.

Otherwise try the Moersch MT-3 toner.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    loren..I've been using a foma fiber paper...542?? it is very warm and makes great prints...I can check the exact number for you when I get back to losa angeles
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fomatone is the same emulsion coated onto an FB base, very warm, and available in both glossy and mat,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did not realize that Fomatone MG is available in both RC and fiber. I plan to try either Fomatone MG Classic, MG Classic 532-11 or MG Classic 542-11. I find the Foma information very confusing with very little detail explaining the difference in these three fiber options, even on the data sheet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using the the Foma MG Classic for several years. I use it when I want a creamy look to a subject. It's beautiful paper and takes to toning exceptionally well. Good luck with your quest.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fomatone classic 132 is the matt FB version and 131 is the glossy, while the 532 is the ''Nature'' fomatone, and 542 is ''Chamois'', both lovely papers but the base of the 532 a slightly cooler, and smother, and matt while the 542 is a creamier and very warm base, the nearest to the RC version of Fomatone would be the 132 and 131 paper, I prefer the glossy, developed in a warmtone developer such as the Harman warmtone developer it is very warm indeed, possibly the warmest paper I have used' I would be inclined to try the 131 first, the 532/534 being perhaps slightly more specilised in application

Shooter
    35mm RF
    how you treat the paper makes a difference...
    http://www.jackspcs.com/pitone.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses including the toning info sent by Ian C. I will try the Foma 131 first per R Gould's suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, R.Gould's information is correct and exhausting. I'll just add that the 532 Nature is indeed a beautiful paper. If you were more after the velvet surface than you could also try Fomabrom 123 variant - the loveliest non-warm paper foma is producing. When toned in Selenium AND sepia the paper is capable to produce wery varm tones indeed, maybe even crisper (if that's the right word) than fomatone.

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk
    | website | ipernity thing |

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin