Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,033   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am looking at the boxes of Lucky 100 and 400 left over from our testing. They are both labeled "new improved". Before we get real excited abut this being TMY let's see what happens in testing the stuff available in Europe. I find it hard to believe that the legendary bean counters at Kodak would put TMY out as a second brand cheaper product at the potential expense of the name brand product. I can't think of one instance when Kodak has done something like this, unlike Ilford, Agfa, Forte etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    10 rolls of Lucky 100 & 400 in 120 now ordered, may take 3-4 days to arrive.

As Kodak now have a 20% stake in Lucky and are supplying technology etc, it is not unexpected that the new Lucky B&W emulsions are new technology, and quite different to the older films. As the emulsion, film base and antihalation layer have been changed these are effectively completely new films.

While no-one has said they are Tmax films as they share the same technology it is likely they have many similar characteristics, and are comparable to Tmax, Agfa APX100 and Ilford Delta films in quality.

Martin Reed of Silverprint writes: Performance on tests so far indicates make-up along the lines of TMax, which wouldn't be surprising as Kodak are suppplied the technology.

So I'll test a couple of rolls as soon as they arrive.

"While no-one has said they are Tmax films"

This is what everyone seems to be expecting from the film as indicated in the posts above. My point was don't hold your breath thinking this was going to be cheap Tmax.

Please check the film with light sources in the photo. The antihalo of the film we tested was not very effective. I'd be curious to see if it has changed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought one of the things Kodak was going to provide was help with QC for Lucky. I'd be suprised if Kodak has managed to make a lot of changes with Lucky already. Remember Lucky makes more then B&W film.

I guess no chance of Lucky colour sheet film?-)

I had these pictures taken of fresh new production Lucky SHD in Germany this morning. The thiness of the emulsion and virtually no antihalo layer is exactly like the film we tested last year. Compared to Tmax there is no comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lucky100.jpg   lucky400.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I turm my Tmax (just opened) over it looks the same as the Lucky.

Your image shows a rear views of Tmax & Lucky, it's totally irrelevant, the Tmax looks like its leader has had quite a bit of latent exposure as its gray, its salmon pink and thin from a newly opened carton and wrapping. Anyone on this forum can test this for themselves.

Only using the film will actually give us an accurate opinion and you told me to try it, which I am doing at your request and you know I've ordered the film in both 100 & 400 ISO versions which should have been despatched today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    If I turm my Tmax (just opened) over it looks the same as the Lucky.

Your image shows a rear views of Tmax & Lucky, it's totally irrelevant, the Tmax looks like its leader has had quite a bit of latent exposure as its gray, its salmon pink and thin from a newly opened carton and wrapping. Anyone on this forum can test this for themselves.

Only using the film will actually give us an accurate opinion and you told me to try it, which I am doing at your request and you know I've ordered the film in both 100 & 400 ISO versions which should have been despatched today.
    So you can read a printed page through your Tmax film? I just pulled a roll open and I can't. Even from a freshly exposed pink area.

I really do appreciate that you are doing a test of the film. I am awaiting your results. However, that does not preclude me for posting additional information.

The two leaders were sitting out for the same amount of time. But the Lucky is not opaque.

We can clearly see that the anti halo layer of the Lucky is nothing like Tmax. So we have a piece of evidence that the technology is different. The anti halo layer in Tmax is a big deal with regards to it's performance. That is the point the pictures I posted were making.

I don't really care how this comes out. I don't sell Lucky and except for sheet films I don't sell Tmax. If you prove that they are close cousins and that Lucky is 80% of Tmax great. I'll order a 100,000 rolls of each and sell it. If you find what we did that is also fine.

What I know is that when we tested the film labeled as "New SHD 100 and 400" it was lousy. I also know that the sales in Europe are well below expectations. There are hundreds of thousands of rolls sitting in warehouses in Europe aging. If it was really a cousin of Tmax at 2 Euro or less a roll, one of the cheapest films in Europe, I would think it would have taken off after a year.
    Last edited by jandc; 02-08-2005 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend of mine recently returned from a trip to mainland China and brought back 20 rolls of 120 Lucky SHD 100. I shot a couple of rolls of this stuff and it's not bad, though nothing I'd get too excited about. First off, there is not much information out there about developers for this film save full strength D-76. I made an educated guess and figured that 10 minutes at 68 deg. F in D-76 1+1 would do. I was right. Most of my frames printed well on my diffusion enlarger with a grade 2 filter. Those that didn't needed anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3. The anti-halation quality of this film is indeed lacking. That much was obvious as soom as I hung the negatives to dry. Strong backlighting resulted in the familiar "halo" effect, much as what you see in images made on Kodak HIE. The other characteristic of this film is that it naturally wants to curl up into a tube once dry. TMX and TMY dry nice and flat, so you know they're not using the same base as Kodak. There are no edge markings on the 120 film. The grain structure, when viewed under the focusing microscope, reminded me a lot of TMX as did the overall look of the final prints. The film is very sharp. If they improve the anti halation quality of this film and can sell it for a low price, they could have a winner. If you deliberatly want the halo effect without the bother and expense of using something exotic like microfilm or infrared, then this stuff is ok too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin