Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,407   Online: 768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

processing foreign film

i have four rolls of film from china left over that i just found, and need to process them. i am not sure of how long to develop these rolls. does any one know where i can find charts for developing chinese film?
    thank you

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Are they B&W? Is this "Lucky" brand film? You might be able to find a chart for it. Try the "Massive Dev Chart" at www.digitaltruth.com and Google the film brand and a popular developer like "D-76" or "HC-110."

If not, it's probably a traditional B&W film, so find something of similar speed, for instance if it is a 400 speed film use a chart for Tri-X or HP-5, test with one roll, and then use your results with that roll to estimate the time for the subsequent rolls.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    thnx. it is b&w and it is "lucky" film. all of it is 100 speed. i appriciate your response.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is www.luckyfilm.com - warning: pitifully slow server, and not a lot of info, but probably worth a look.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's the latest Lucky 100iso emulsion, treat it as if it's Tmax 100, they have bought into Kodaks expertise. There was an short article in the BJP last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    If it's the latest Lucky 100iso emulsion, treat it as if it's Tmax 100, they have bought into Kodaks expertise. There was an short article in the BJP last year.
    We tested Lucky 100 and 400, 35mm and 120, as we were thinking of importing it into the US. While many have speculated it's like Tmax and the rumors are out there it behaves nothing like Tmax. It acts like a conventional B&W film with an inadequate anti halo coating causing problems with point light sources.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    We tested Lucky 100 and 400, 35mm and 120, as we were thinking of importing it into the US. While many have speculated it's like Tmax and the rumors are out there it behaves nothing like Tmax. It acts like a conventional B&W film with an inadequate anti halo coating causing problems with point light sources.
    They weren't rumours.

I will have to try and find the BJP article which was from a press release, this indicated that Lucky would be mamufacturing T-max type emulsions under license from Kodak. I'd think the Press Release was by Kodak rather than Lucky.

In fact somewhere I have a Test report on Lucky 400 ISO B&W film saying how identiaclly it resembles Tmax, I only get the BJP regularly and it wasn't there, so I'm sure the test article was in a B&W Photography magazine I bought just before Xmas.

It is possible they tested pre-release materials, however I don't think so as Lucky new tecnnology films are available here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    They weren't rumours.

I will have to try and find the BJP article which was from a press release, this indicated that Lucky would be mamufacturing T-max type emulsions under license from Kodak. I'd think the Press Release was by Kodak rather than Lucky.

In fact somewhere I have a Test report on Lucky 400 ISO B&W film saying how identiaclly it resembles Tmax, I only get the BJP regularly and it wasn't there, so I'm sure the test article was in a B&W Photography magazine I bought just before Xmas.

It is possible they tested pre-release materials, however I don't think so as Lucky new tecnnology films are available here in the UK.
    Lucky films are available in Europe and the UK. Since they are available there try it and see for yourself.

The fact that some magazine ran a blurb saying Kodak and Lucky were cooperating (which is true) doesn't mean the production product for sale is Tmax like film.

We tested it last January(2004) with film Lucky sent us to evaluate prior to placing an order. So unless something has changed in the last year I have to disagree with you on this.

The 400 film gave a speed of around 250 at best and was also a conventional film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    We tested it last January(2004) with film Lucky sent us to evaluate prior to placing an order. So unless something has changed in the last year I have to disagree with you on this.
    I think we are both right.

The British Journal of Photography is not a publication for the amateur market & the press release about Kodak & Lucky indicated that Kodak saw licensing their technology as a way of gaining income from the lucrative Chinese market.

Now checking a little the agreement dates from 23/10/03, so the film you tested January 04 was definately not the new emulsions released during the latter part of 2004.

To quote Dan Carp, March 04: "We made a strategic investment in China's Lucky Film Company, to expand our presence in emerging markets, and as part of our strategy to keep increasing our manufacturing share in film."

Kodak were expecting to payout $100 million last year after taking a 20% stake in Lucky: http://www.pressi.com/int/release/76894.html

So any resulting new films would have to be capable of matching the best available from Kodak, Ilford, Agfa etc.

Quoting one highly respected UK supplier: "With a name like this there is little doubt of the origin - 'Lucky' is a Chinese made black and white film in 100 and 400 ISO, in 35mm and 120 formats. Performance on tests so far indicates make-up along the lines of TMax, which wouldn't be surprising as Kodak are suppplied the technology."

I'll buy 10 rolls tomorrow in 120 to test.
    http://www.made-in-china.com/product...D400_Film.html
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-06-2005 at 11:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance we could talk them into running an order of Lucky TMY in sheet sizes?

Just a thought....
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin