Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,107   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Did I buy the wrong fixer?

This weekend I finally bought chemicals to develop my own black and white film. I bought a package of D76 and a bottle of Kodak Fixer. However, looking at the B & H page for this fixer now shows that there are two bottles, not one. I only have one bottle.

Do I not have enough fixer to run a black and white processing?

This is very confusing. I dont have the bottle in front of me now as I'm at work. But my guess is that I have bottle A.

Here is the B & H link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lutions_A.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do have the A solution, you are probably ok. You probably don't need hardener for most modern films.

I'm sure someone who knows better than I will be along shortly.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    If you do have the A solution, you are probably ok. You probably don't need hardener for most modern films.

I'm sure someone who knows better than I will be along shortly.
    Is two stage fixing common? It seems to add to the work load to process film. I dont recall ever reading about people doing 2 stage fixes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You bought Rapid Fixer. Kodak Fixer is a powder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And according to the ad on B&H you are missing a bottle. I have had this happen before. Are you sure you did not get the second bottle as it is MUCH smaller than the first. Could be easy to overlook.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Is this good or bad? I am very confused now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    And according to the ad on B&H you are missing a bottle. I have had this happen before. Are you sure you did not get the second bottle as it is MUCH smaller than the first. Could be easy to overlook.
    I bought a single bottle. I saw the word fixer and assumed that I was OK. No one speaks English in the store where I buy film so I am 100% on my own.

I am seriously confused as to whether what I bought is worth anything to me now. The store is 8 miles or so from my house so it is not easy to get to during the week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're fine, as long as it's Solution A. I use the same fixer, but never use the hardener (Part B).

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's all preference. I always used plain Kodak Fixer and mixed up the powder into a gallon and was always sure that was all any fixer needed to be. The Rapid Fixer is a little bit more nasty stuff, but works quicker, if that's important to you. Rapid Fixer came in a tall suare box with a big bottle and a little one. The little one is the hardener. I always still use hardener (or Kodak Fixer, which has alum in it). All in your preference. The Rapid will do a better job on T-Max which is hard to clear in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Not necessarily. Kodak also makes Kodafix, which is an all liquid concentrate version of Kodak Fixer. It comes in a single bottle. I used to use it.

If that's what you have, you're fine, but will have to fix longer. It isn't Rapid Fixer, it's identical, when diluted, to powder form Kodak fixer mixed for use. Well "identical" in use as far as I ever saw anyway. It's a hardening, non-rapid ordinary fixer.

Dip a piece of film leader into the mixed fixer and time how long it takes to clear. Fix for at least twice that long, three times that long to be really conservative with modern films. It'll take longer than Rapid Fixer but work fine.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about and what I suspect he has. It used to come in rectangular bottles:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/146408...-Make-1-Gallon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin