Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,370   Online: 1118
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    bmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,156
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Dianna insisted on re-painting most of our rooms when serious nesting hit toward the end of her pregnancy with Alec, regardless of my insistance that she not do so because of paint fumes.

    -KwM-
    You got off easy! We moved 14 houses down the same street 3 weeks before our first was born
    hi!

  2. #12
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    Sean one of the things most of us are lacking today is selenium in our diet. What residual there is is not going to be harmful considering it was working solution. You cleaned it up which would more than dilute it further. If you do have any remaining fears, get some good old vinegar and whipe the area down. It will get rid of the smell of the ammonia which is more likely the cause of the sick feeling. Now you will have a darkroom that smells like pickles.
    Non Digital Diva

  3. #13
    Donald Qualls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    If you do have any remaining fears, get some good old vinegar and whipe the area down. It will get rid of the smell of the ammonia which is more likely the cause of the sick feeling. Now you will have a darkroom that smells like pickles.
    Which, if you use traditional acid fixer or acid stop bath, would probably be normal...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,166
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    It was capped but not tight enough. I guess I must have been in a rush when I handled it last.
    sorry to hear of your problems sean.
    i'd mop/wipe everything clean many times before you "air it out"
    i am sure airborn chemicals aren't too much fun. if it makes you feel any better i dumped a 16x20 tray filled to the top with dektol on our floor a few years ago. it wasn't a fun site

    about that cap -
    this was posted last night in another thread. at least this didn't happen ...
    http://www.thewarpzone.net/kiss_woman.asf

    good luck!

    -john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

  5. #15
    blansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Wine country in Northern California
    Posts
    5,029
    The good news is your table and floor are now archival.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    I really don't think there's any danger as long as you've cleaned up the spill and left no liquid puddled around anywhere that small children or animals might ingest. Selenium toner, especially when it's diluted, shouldn't be too hazardous. The ammonia odor is not particularly strong compared to the fumes from a bottle of ammonia cleaner that is commonly used in households every day.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Downers Grove Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    The amonia smell is mearly obnoxious. Selenium is toxic. I hope you wore rubber gloves and the mask was designed to stop whatever form the selenium was in.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    963
    I wouldn't worry too much. I read a Kodak publication once, which suprised me. It stated that working dilutions of selenium were ok for you fingers, it was dilute enough not to be harmful. I wouldn't go that far, but I'd be far more concerned about pyro or amidol.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,576
    Images
    27
    Sean, agree with other with the good wishes...but think I would check Kodak site for the MSDS to see what they say about spills and clean up. Think everthing should be fine, but as always, better save than sorry.

    So, can you have one of your great-grandkid's post here to let our great-grandkid's know if the room is still looking as good as it does today?
    Mike C

    Rambles

  10. #20
    argentic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Echandelys, Auvergne, France
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,709
    Hi Sean,

    Don't worry too much about the smell. It's just ammonia. I once breathed in a lot of ammonia some ten years ago at my work. My mucous membranes were inflamed for weeks and I lost my voice completely for a few days. But I'm still alive, and my three daughters came out perfectly

    About the selenium, better be overcautious. You don't want it to become airborne. So you better clean up once too many. But don't get paranoid either.

    Good luck, and overhere we say: "A donkey never hits a rock twice."
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin