Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,370   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Dianna insisted on re-painting most of our rooms when serious nesting hit toward the end of her pregnancy with Alec, regardless of my insistance that she not do so because of paint fumes.

-KwM-
    You got off easy! We moved 14 houses down the same street 3 weeks before our first was born
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean one of the things most of us are lacking today is selenium in our diet. What residual there is is not going to be harmful considering it was working solution. You cleaned it up which would more than dilute it further. If you do have any remaining fears, get some good old vinegar and whipe the area down. It will get rid of the smell of the ammonia which is more likely the cause of the sick feeling. Now you will have a darkroom that smells like pickles.
    Non Digital Diva

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    If you do have any remaining fears, get some good old vinegar and whipe the area down. It will get rid of the smell of the ammonia which is more likely the cause of the sick feeling. Now you will have a darkroom that smells like pickles.
    Which, if you use traditional acid fixer or acid stop bath, would probably be normal...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    It was capped but not tight enough. I guess I must have been in a rush when I handled it last.
    sorry to hear of your problems sean.
    i'd mop/wipe everything clean many times before you "air it out"
    i am sure airborn chemicals aren't too much fun. if it makes you feel any better i dumped a 16x20 tray filled to the top with dektol on our floor a few years ago. it wasn't a fun site

about that cap -
    this was posted last night in another thread. at least this didn't happen ...
    http://www.thewarpzone.net/kiss_woman.asf

good luck!

-john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

The good news is your table and floor are now archival.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really don't think there's any danger as long as you've cleaned up the spill and left no liquid puddled around anywhere that small children or animals might ingest. Selenium toner, especially when it's diluted, shouldn't be too hazardous. The ammonia odor is not particularly strong compared to the fumes from a bottle of ammonia cleaner that is commonly used in households every day.

The amonia smell is mearly obnoxious. Selenium is toxic. I hope you wore rubber gloves and the mask was designed to stop whatever form the selenium was in.

I wouldn't worry too much. I read a Kodak publication once, which suprised me. It stated that working dilutions of selenium were ok for you fingers, it was dilute enough not to be harmful. I wouldn't go that far, but I'd be far more concerned about pyro or amidol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, agree with other with the good wishes...but think I would check Kodak site for the MSDS to see what they say about spills and clean up. Think everthing should be fine, but as always, better save than sorry.

So, can you have one of your great-grandkid's post here to let our great-grandkid's know if the room is still looking as good as it does today?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Sean,

Don't worry too much about the smell. It's just ammonia. I once breathed in a lot of ammonia some ten years ago at my work. My mucous membranes were inflamed for weeks and I lost my voice completely for a few days. But I'm still alive, and my three daughters came out perfectly

About the selenium, better be overcautious. You don't want it to become airborne. So you better clean up once too many. But don't get paranoid either.

Good luck, and overhere we say: "A donkey never hits a rock twice."
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin