Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,294   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, doesn't selenium characteristically smell like garlic? I've been on the scene of a few magnesium fires (worked in places where it was machined) and after each fire the garlic smell was unmistakable. We understood it was from the selenium contained in the magnesium alloys.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would be very cautious with the selenium residue. In solution, KRST is nothing to worry about (don't drink it, of course), but as a powder, it can become airborne. You do not want to inhale this stuff. In it's pure form, selenium powder is extremely toxic, and can cause death. Of course, we're not working with pure selinium, but any amount of toxic material in the lungs is not a good thing.

Use common sense, and try and clean up any residue without raising any dust. Perhaps damp rags, throw immediately after use into a garbage bag, would be the best thing to clean up the dust. I'll leave it to you to determine how to dispose of the rags.

Not a fun thing to clean up.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you already cleaned the mess I believe most of the selenium is gone.
    Hopefully the ammonia smell is gone, and any selenoiuum left will be a selenite (I think) so it will hardly get to be airborne. Just make sure you mop/wipe it real well.

And the water you used to wash the stuff whould be very good for you flowers!!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My understanding is that it is the Se dust that is left when the solution evaporates that is quite toxic if inhaled, ingested or gets into an open cut. However, don't take my word for it. New Zealand must have "Poison Centers"; call one of them.
    In the US: "American Association of Poison Control Centers. If you have a poisoning emergency, call 1-800-222-1222."
    Se is so toxic, if you have ANY concern that the "powder" was inhaled, make a long distant call the the number above. OR, If you wish, I'll call them for you. Please let me know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sean New Zealand DOES have a Poison Center. Here it is: NATIONAL POISONS CENTRE
    Dunedin School of Medicine
    PO Box 913
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Emergency Phone: 0800 POISONS (from NZ only) or 0800 764-766
    Administrative Phone: 64-3-479-7248
    FAX: 64-3-477-0509
    http://www.otago.ac.nz/prevmed/npc.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Selenium Poisoning

Sean – Somehow my message did not get posted (this has happen before)? So, here’s what I said:

It is my understanding that it is the actual Se powder that is left after the solution evaporates that is VERY toxic. If I am correct, the fumes should not be harmful regarding Se poisoning. To be safe contact you New Zealand Poison Center (see below):

NATIONAL POISONS CENTRE
    Dunedin School of Medicine
    PO Box 913
    Dunedin, New Zealand

Emergency Phone: 0800 POISONS (from NZ only) or 0800 764-766

Administrative Phone: 64-3-479-7248

FAX: 64-3-477-0509

or
    http://www.otago.ac.nz/prevmed/npc.html

Bob McColloch (aka Hortense)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Sean – Somehow my message did not get posted (this has happen before)? So, here’s what I said:

Bob McColloch (aka Hortense)
    Oh yes they did . Is it possible you are hitting the BACK button to reload the thread after posting? Sometimes a browser does not refresh the page and simply reloads a cached version of the page as it was when you last viewed it. This is a function of the browser: usually either it is not set to check pages every time they are accessed, or quite often it is a side effect of a very large cache, in which case clear the cache. Hit the reload button (or F5) to make sure.

Of course, all this may be totally irrelevant and the sever was just slow to update for some reason...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but this weekend my brother bought one of those new energy drinks (I don't know the brand) and on the nutrition facts it said that the drink contained 25% of your daily selenium. Is this a different "kind" of selenium? If it was poison I don't think it'd be in a drink.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but this weekend my brother bought one of those new energy drinks (I don't know the brand) and on the nutrition facts it said that the drink contained 25% of your daily selenium. Is this a different "kind" of selenium? If it was poison I don't think it'd be in a drink.
    -Grant
    It's the same thing. Check it out! Selnium is one of the trace mineral we do not get enough of.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have the feeling the amount that might be in sean's darkroom is way more than the minute amount needed for a "daily dose" ... unless of course you happened to be small, white, with wiskers, and a tail
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin