Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,519   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

jug of selenium toner on table tips over = what a disaster

What a disaster I've had with a recent chemical spill. I'll start from the beginning.. My darkroom is next to my office that I work from home a few days a week. The last two days working from home I feel uncomfortable with my breathing. I chalk it up to hot weather and poor venting in my office. I then go into my darkroom to get something and find selenium toner all over my table and floor, a good 4 sq. meters fairly saturated, AND a massive stench. Obviously some of the fumes were getting into my home office and I had no idea that's why I was not feeling well for a few days, sigh. So today I spent about 3 hours cleaning it all up. I used a special fumes mask to keep from dropping dead in the process. I am not sure yet if my darkroom will always have a selenium smell now or it will eventually wear off. So far I think I got most of it. Is there anything I should be worried about now? Could the fumes for a few days deposited harmful substance on anything in the room? I still have no idea how the jug tipped over several days ago. Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    What a disaster I've had with a recent chemical spill. I'll start from the beginning.. My darkroom is next to my office that I work from home a few days a week. The last two days working from home I feel uncomfortable with my breathing. I chalk it up to hot weather and poor venting in my office. I then go into my darkroom to get something and find selenium toner all over my table and floor, a good 4 sq. meters fairly saturated, AND a massive stench. Obviously some of the fumes were getting into my home office and I had no idea that's why I was not feeling well for a few days, sigh. So today I spent about 3 hours cleaning it all up. I used a special fumes mask to keep from dropping dead in the process. I am not sure yet if my darkroom will always have a selenium smell now or it will eventually wear off. So far I think I got most of it. Is there anything I should be worried about now? Could the fumes for a few days deposited harmful substance on anything in the room? I still have no idea how the jug tipped over several days ago. Thanks
    Not sure the fumes will be too harmful. Obviously you don't want to breathe that stuff, but it is just amonia smell. It will go away soon. The selenium itself should be a heck of a lot more toxic because once in your body it stays there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the selenium doesn't eget airborne.. it is deposited as a solid in almost everything, it shoul dstart looking like a pinkinsh/brown powder coating most metals and stufff.
    Thew fumes were ammonia smell,
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yeah lots of pink/brown stains and puddles, I was able to clean all of that. Should be ok now

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not exactly the most knowledgable person on this sort of thing and I am sure that there are plenty of APUG'ers who are much better suited to answer this sort of question..

I suppose it depends on whether or not the water in the selenium toner solution evaporates and if the selenium is left behind only to be kicked up into the air, etc..

Was it a stock solution or working solution? Heavily diluted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it was working solution 1 to 15

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I still have no idea how the jug tipped over several days ago.
    Was the jug not capped?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh d#rn! :o
    I'd be careful of the ammonia also. Really not good for the health. The good thing about it, is that the smallest amounts are easily detectable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

As memory serves, don't you have a young child with another one on the way? If it was me, I'd try and keep all three to the other side of the house, circulate outside air in, and maybe bring a package of KRST or something with the ingredients to my pediatrician to sound them out.

I'm probably just paranoid, though. Dianna insisted on re-painting most of our rooms when serious nesting hit toward the end of her pregnancy with Alec, regardless of my insistance that she not do so because of paint fumes.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It was capped but not tight enough. I guess I must have been in a rush when I handled it last.

kwmullet: fortunately the darkroom is outside of the main house in it's own room, and locked so the little one was no where near the area..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin