Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,237   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Some feedback about the Kodak double x 5222 distributed by FPP?

In his store and some other websites, Film Photography Project (FPP) offers 100' rolls of Kodak Double X 5222 35mm. I am not discussing the price since I believe it is reasonable, taking into account they have to enroll their own rolls from a "master" roll.

But i would like to know how was the shooting with this film offered by FPP. Any reviews among the APUG membership?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have shot a lot of Eastman Double-X but from a different source. It is a very nice film rated by Kodak as finer grained than Tri-X. Since it is intended as cine negative film to be printed on contrasty positive stock. Kodak suggests the use of a special developer D-96 and a lower CI. For still camera use you can use any developer you wish and should use a CI appropriate for your use. I use HC-110, use a CI of 0.65 and rate the film at an EI of 400.

BTW, Kodak uses the name Eastman for their cine films not Kodak. I mention this as it may help if you are searching the net.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I enjoy shooting XX myself, I shoot it anywhere from 200-250-400 and have developed it in Diafine and Rodinal with great results across the board.

It looks a lot like TMax when hanging up to dry and has almost that same light pink tint to it, minus the neat barcodes that it has along the sides.

Lovely film, I wish it was not going up in price as of the first of the new year. If you are looking to buy it, a user here still sells it in rolls at the old price, and it is worth it to me to buy in bulk and shoot. IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since 5222 is cine film stock check with companies that sell short-ends. This is how I have bought all of mine. The price is much cheaper if you can find some. Due to the popularity of this film short-ends have been harder to find. First try

http://www.filmemporium.com/store

They are selling factory sealed 400 ft cans for $249.12. For short ends call them as these stocks move very rapidly and the short-ends are not always available. So they are not usually mentioned on-line.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-26-2013 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Some feedback about the Kodak double x 5222 distributed by FPP?

Quote Originally Posted by alienmeatsack View Post
    I enjoy shooting XX myself, I shoot it anywhere from 200-250-400 and have developed it in Diafine and Rodinal with great results across the board.

It looks a lot like TMax when hanging up to dry and has almost that same light pink tint to it, minus the neat barcodes that it has along the sides.

Lovely film, I wish it was not going up in price as of the first of the new year. If you are looking to buy it, a user here still sells it in rolls at the old price, and it is worth it to me to buy in bulk and shoot. IMHO.
    What effective speed do you get with Diafine?

Is there any advantage to this stuff over Tri-X except for finer grain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Since 5222 is cine film stock check with companies that sell short-ends. This is how I have bought all of mine. The price is much cheaper if you can find some. Due to the popularity of this film short-ends have been harder to find. First try

http://www.filmemporium.com/store

They are selling factory sealed 400 ft cans for $249.12. For short ends call them as these stocks move very rapidly and the short-ends are not always available. So they are not usually mentioned on-line.
    Thanks for answering.
    BTW, what does "CI" mean?
    Concerning the "short end", is that possible to get something shorter than 100 feet, so I could put it in a regular loader?

Shooter
    35mm
    I never shoot DXN supplied by FPP, usually I buy full rolls from Kodak directly. It became my basic film. Very flexible, I shoot it at 125 to 500 ISO with very good results: small grain, very good sharpness, good reaction to filters and flexible with the contrast. Looks good in most developers.
    But, like with every emulsion it takes some time to get to know one. If you have similar price for TX in your local store, go with TX. DXN only bought directly from Kodak Store is giving about 50% (it refers to Canada with late big jump in price of TX) of savings, but the minimum is 400' in one roll. (It's not really a big problem to re-spool it by hand for bulk loader.)
    Last edited by timor; 12-26-2013 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CI stands for Contrast Index, it is similar to Gamma which is calculated from the the Characteristic (H&D) Curve.

Short-ends are typically ~100 ft, some less than that some more. If you phone them they will usually tell you what lengths are available. Many people that bulk load do not bother with a loader. They just hang the roll up and measure off the desired length. Of course this requires a room that can be briefly made dark.

I made a device from a length of wood and a couple of bolts which allows me to wind off a portion of a longer roll for use in a bulk loader. The spools that are used in cash register tapes make good substitute spools.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-26-2013 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What effective speed do you get with Diafine?

Is there any advantage to this stuff over Tri-X except for finer grain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    320-400 ISO 7mins in Microphen 20C
    cheaper $
    don't try more than 35 in factory style cassettes
    dries flat

Shooter
    35mm
    I still can't figure out why so much ado for a cine emulsion, considering all the trouble of getting a hard-to-find film for a high price where there are, readily available, a lot of films intended for still photography.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin