Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,433   Online: 1124

CHX

Shooter
    35mm

Lucky SHD100 (35mm) - Problems with spooling in AP Compact tank.

I recently ordered a 10 roll batch of Lucky SHD100 (35mm), and have had trouble getting it onto the developing spool of my AP Compact 35mm tank (plastic type spool with ball bearing sprocket feed guides). Lucky 100 doesn't seem to like this setup. It doesn't seem to feed properly, and often winds up getting "graunched" and wrecking the film.

Is there a special "knack" to getting Lucky to behave itself during developing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CHX View Post
    I recently ordered a 10 roll batch of Lucky SHD100 (35mm), and have had trouble getting it onto the developing spool of my AP Compact 35mm tank (plastic type spool with ball bearing sprocket feed guides). Lucky 100 doesn't seem to like this setup. It doesn't seem to feed properly, and often winds up getting "graunched" and wrecking the film.

Is there a special "knack" to getting Lucky to behave itself during developing?
    I think what makes it more difficult to load the developing spool is the fact the film base is very thin. But you should be able to do so. Try to push forward the lead by pulling the film with your hand, then start rolling the film the usual way. I had the same problem with the Ultrafine Plus 100 (which I think is re-branded Lucky shd100).

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Lucky SHD100 (35mm) - Problems with spooling in AP Compact tank.

Hello CHX: I had that problem with some thin base 120 film. I found that when I used a nail clipper to round off the leading edge corners it loaded much easier and didn't bind or scrunch the film. You don't have to take very much off. Just enough to eliminate the pointy corner and it should make it easier to load. Sorry I should have read the original post better. But this method should work with 35 mm as well.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot and developed a good few rolls of Lucky and have never had this problem. I have had a problem with the terrible scratches and scuff marks that it comes with ... but that's another story.

Assuming the usual caveats about your reels being clean and dry etc etc, and assuming your camera winds it on "inside out", try leaving the film in the cassette for 24 hours after rewinding it and before putting on the reel (to let it "relax")

CHX

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice, all. I'll have to try some suggestions out and cross my fingers!

By the way, Pdeeh, do you always run into bad scuffs on Lucky? My batch is OK, though I suspect my rolls were made by the seller from bulk stock, as they have no frame numbers on the negs, and some of the canisters have been overbranded with stickers (the roll I used most recently had the original markings on the canister as being for Lucky 200 C41 - didn't know that type even existed!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    every batch i've ever had is the same, scratches along the length of the film and random scuffs; it's never got edge markings, by the way, and the factory re-use cassettes over and over - i had a cassette in my latest batch that had five (5) - seriously - tail ends on the centre spool ...

I shan't bother with it again. it's a shame as apart from the awful quality control, perfectly respectable stuff.

CHX

Shooter
    35mm
    Just some good news. I developed three rolls of Lucky this evening. left them to relax then rounded off the leading edge and guided it through gently with the thumb on the sprocket holes, and what a difference! It behaved as good as gold every time

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin