Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 851

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fun Freakin'-Tastic!

Well, after 20 years shooting cameras, today I finally developed my first roll of film. What an absolute BLAST that was! Piece of cake. Just getting that reel loaded was difficult.

I dont have a scanner now, nor can I print so I cant fully evaluate the negatives, but to my inexperienced eye, they sure look decent. I'm quite pleased and ready for roll #2!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well there ya go. Don't need a scanner. Just some paper and a piece of glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Well there ya go. Don't need a scanner. Just some paper and a piece of glass.
    Oh I wish! I just cant make any room in my house dark enough. Only a tiny closet AT NIGHT can get dark enough. Every other room has huge, giant windows. There's enough light pollution in Shanghai to light up the rooms even with the curtains drawn.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ratty,
    They look pretty good from here. If you had a light table you could use one of your digital cameras(Fuji S3 or was it the S5) and micro/macro lenses and take a picture and then invert it with software or in camera. It would give you an idea anyway. Film is fun and it makes you think! Digital has its place too, but not on this forum. Sorry I had to mention the "D" word. JohnW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually a small closet would be all you need. As an aside--from your point of view, if you had any idea how far in the middle of nowhere I am located, it might seem inconceivable there are such places. My darkroom is the whole house at night, except on full moons. No self-respecting ghost would even come around here after dark.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    RattyMouse,

Your story reminds my re-discovery of film some 4 years ago. So much thrill and still is. At first look, your film seems well developed. I just wonder which film you used: the base looks purplish. Is this Tri-X? Next time I suggest you get your film soak in water for 30s or 1min before the development, so you will get rid of some of the anti-halation layer.

Congrats again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    RattyMouse,

Your story reminds my re-discovery of film some 4 years ago. So much thrill and still is. At first look, your film seems well developed. I just wonder which film you used: the base looks purplish. Is this Tri-X? Next time I suggest you get your film soak in water for 30s or 1min before the development, so you will get rid of some of the anti-halation layer.

Congrats again!
    Yeah. I'm a pre-soak guy too. Gets rid of the purple. But what you've got there is gorgeous. It'll print fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    RattyMouse,

Congrats again!
    Yes, this film is Tri-X. I was wondering about pre-soaking and was not sure what to do about that. My house is a bit on the cool side so I loaded up the developing tank with developer when the temp was 20.5 C. Perhaps a pre soak would have been better.

So, to be clear, a purple look is a sign of temp that is too low?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one HUGE down side to all this fun is now I have an ENORMOUS urge to shoot more film. I only had one roll shot for testing purposes and now that this is gone, I need to shoot more. Last night I shot two rolls of Delta 3200, but I'm not sure it is wise for me to try that yet. It's not clear to me that D-76 is all that great for Delta 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just seeing that puts a big smile on my face... that's a great feeling.
    Congratulations!

I make all my prints and contact prints in a tiny closet. Where there's a will there's a way.
    There are lots of tricks to make a very small darkroom space work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin