Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,415   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Prepend a custom leader to 135 roll film

I'm a slow shooter and usually repackage a roll in multiple shorter rolls. Of course, by doing so, I'm wasting a lot of film for leader.

How could I attach an (expired) piece of film to use it as a reusable leader to reduce the waste?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably hard to do, you need a camera that doesnt use the sprockets or would not mind the film jumping the sprockets from tape covering them or misalignment with two pieces of film. There are a few cameras such as the canon elan that can use film without perforations.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe you could do something like what's done to splice movie film. The film pieces are held in place in a device makng sure the perforations are spaced properly and film cement is used to glue the pieces together. Prior to that the emulsion is scraped off one piece of film (as the lap join is one emulsion surface to one film base surface). Do a search for splicing movie film. The film cement works as a solvent as well as a glue, and I think I'm right in saying that it would work only on acetate films which are soluble in whatever solvent is used.

You might even pick up a 35mm movie splicer.

I'm not sure I'd bother, but I'm lazy.

Edit: since the 35mm film has identical sprocket holes on both sides (unlike most movie film) you wouldn't have to scrape emulsion, just join base to base.
    Last edited by john_s; 12-30-2013 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use EOS, so sprocket holes are no problem. Maybe the counter could get confused, but that's it.
    I could make the connection by overlapping sprocket holes of the leader and the roll. Leader is just leader, so the quality of joint is not critical - it just needs to be reliable. I'd use a sellotape, but not sure it'll hold. I guess I need to try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you are doing most of the work anyway, why not start with a 100ft roll? You will save a lot more than what you are doing now. You don't have to load all of it until closer to shooting it so you can have the most flexibility.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Since you are doing most of the work anyway, why not start with a 100ft roll? You will save a lot more than what you are doing now. You don't have to load all of it until closer to shooting it so you can have the most flexibility.
    Yea or 400 foot can or 'short ends'...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Why not just splice and load in the dark? So you start with the frame already unexposed and don't have to advance it after closing the back.

But I agree, getting a 100 foot roll is probably the smartest move, unless the film you shoot isn't available in 100 foot rolls and then of course doing what you do is the only option.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Why not just splice and load in the dark? So you start with the frame already unexposed and don't have to advance it after closing the back.
    Not an option with EOS.

Anyway, the solution is simple and it works:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4353.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	79252

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    Not an option with EOS.

Anyway, the solution is simple and it works:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4353.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	79252
    Ahh yes true...

For someone that shoots so few frames, why is he using an EOS camera? Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Because that someone has EOS lenses from the digital system and EOS cameras are actually very good...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin