Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 866

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, diluted with good old adelaide tap water, SAWater's finest. Can't remember if it went through the Puratap or not (or if it did, if that would remove the iron anyway?)
    When I made it I had half a gooniebag of the springwater, although I think I had to add in some normal tap water at the time.
    I've had a look through my scans, earliest scan I can find with Xtol on it (yes, I name my scans with the developer for reference) was at the end of May.
    So it definitely lasted May-Oct, which is 6 months, and died somewhere before yesterday, 8 1/2 months or so. Given that it was in the airtight gooniebag, and always used one-shot and tipped out (never replenished), I wouldn't have thought 9 months was out of the question.
    I didn't know about iron sensitivity, nor about the fact that it 'just stops' or I probably would have clip-tested (I shall in future).
    So I'll just take it as a very bullet-dodged lesson with no big loss (they were $2/roll expired, the film that worked in the microphen had some of my holiday to canberra, the two I lost were all shot at the cricket, I'm pretty sure there were no good shots in them which is why i'd been putting off developing them).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The iron problem is stated here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/24281-xtol-4.html . Look at post #34.

I actually distil my own water. The stuff you buy in the drug stores is probably just filtered. Judging by the sludge left behind at the bottom of my distiller, I trust mine.

When I make my xtol (mytol), it uses salicytic acid to combat the iron problem. There is stuff in the original xtol too, but time will usually kill the 5l of xtol. I think it was a big mistake when Kodak removed the 1l from the shelves.

But like I said in a previous post, replenished did not spoil for me. It may be an option if throwing the unused stuff makes your blood curdle. I preferred the look of replenished anyway.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While Xtol contains DTPA, Adelaide water contains so much iron it's not funny. Until a couple of decades ago, there used to be two ports that the Royal Navy wouldn't take on water: Aden and Adelaide.

We now have new processing plants but in about half of Adelaide, the water tastes disgusting unless charcoal filtered and if there's been a lot of flow, I get little 0.3mm brown (iron oxide) chunks coming out of the tap.

Happily, there are some very clean freshwater springs nearby with low iron content and we can buy 10L bags of good water for about $3.50 and that works fine for making up xtol.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    T I think it was a big mistake when Kodak removed the 1l from the shelves.
    I have been told that the format of 1L bag of X-Tol was not as tighly sealed - therefore not reliable enough - as it is the case with the 5L one. I don't believe much this explanation; I rather think the 5L is kept alive for industrial use, the regular amateur not being the target, marketing wise...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but it is all about me....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    I have been told that the format of 1L bag of X-Tol was not as tighly sealed - therefore not reliable enough - as it is the case with the 5L one. I don't believe much this explanation; I rather think the 5L is kept alive for industrial use, the regular amateur not being the target, marketing wise...
    Think of it like this: people buying the 1l kit are very low volume users, and are the most likely ones to run into problems with expired/inactive Xtol, and will most likely scream about their bad experiences in multiple internet forums. So we are looking at a product (Xtol 1l kit) which creates little revenue and a great risk for the reputation of the product. Any reasonable manager would cancel such a product as quickly as possible.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Think of it like this: people buying the 1l kit are very low volume users, and are the most likely ones to run into problems with expired/inactive Xtol, and will most likely scream about their bad experiences in multiple internet forums. So we are looking at a product (Xtol 1l kit) which creates little revenue and a great risk for the reputation of the product. Any reasonable manager would cancel such a product as quickly as possible.
    It is most probably the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was one of the early users of Xtol. Still have one 1L kit unopened - I think it was offered as a 2x1L kit at the time.

Shooter
    35mm

Xtol dead before mixing?

I mixed up a 5L batch of Xtol on 18th December 2013 from powder that had an expiry date of December 2013 on the packet. The first roll I put through the mix this evening (15th January 2014) is completely clear, no edge markings, zero. It's my fault for not testing the chemistry first on some junk film because I lost some nice shots on that roll.

What are your experiences with the expiry dates on the powder? If the packet is factory sealed shouldn't it be okay? Lesson learnt the hard way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would rank up there with highly unusual. Was the powder discoloured or clumpy?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin