Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,716   Online: 876

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasir View Post
    I mixed up a 5L batch of Xtol on 18th December 2013 from powder that had an expiry date of December 2013 on the packet. The first roll I put through the mix this evening (15th January 2014) is completely clear, no edge markings, zero. .
    Wow! So you mix a Kodak developer within its expiry date( usually conservative) and use it about a month later and it gives nothing . No wonder Simon Galley of Ilford believes that his company will be the last man standing in B&W. His competitors are all helping him to realise this ambition as much as they can it would appear

Seriously it would seem to me that your unfortunate experience has to be down to something that isn't intrinsic to Xtol.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    That would rank up there with highly unusual. Was the powder discoloured or clumpy?
    No, the powder was white. It mixed fine, no clumps at all. Should I test a strip of unexposed film through it or just dump the whole lot?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm. To be fair this is only the second time I've ever mixed Xtol but the first time everything worked perfectly. I even got 3+ months from the stock solution without a single problem. I can't see that it was user error. I'll try developing a strip of unexposed film through it to see what happens before I dump the whole lot. I do have some more Xtol powder with a much longer expiry date.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since no chelating agent completely removes a particular ion from solution, the DTPA in Xtol only slows down the Fenton reaction. Remember that the reaction between a chelating agent and a metal ion like iron (III) is an equilibrium and as such never goes to completion. In addition copper (II) also promotes the reaction. A chelating agent may not have the same effectiveness for all metal ions. Ryuji used two chelating agents, salicylic acid for iron (III) and TEA for copper (II).
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-15-2014 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasir View Post
    I mixed up a 5L batch of Xtol on 18th December 2013 from powder that had an expiry date of December 2013 on the packet. The first roll I put through the mix this evening (15th January 2014) is completely clear, no edge markings, zero. It's my fault for not testing the chemistry first on some junk film because I lost some nice shots on that roll.

What are your experiences with the expiry dates on the powder? If the packet is factory sealed shouldn't it be okay? Lesson learnt the hard way.
    Under the right conditions the ascorbate can be destroyed within a few minutes after mixing.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin