Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1120

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pure coincidence, something else caused the problem, it just wouldn't happen that fast anyway

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Ian has nicely summed things up - a coincidence and unrelated to mixing Xtol. It is that time of year for most of us to maybe eat and drink in combinations to which we are unaccustomed. In all likelihood it was a one-off but at the risk of sounding alarmist I'd certainly get yourself seen by a doctor if it were to happen again in the near future and there was no cause you could put it down to.

In the meantime I wouldn't worry. Probably there's not many of us who have never had a sudden bout of diarrhoea once in a while

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It took me quite some time to figure out I was lactose intolerant, which can give sudden bouts of certain things. Not saying this is your issue, just that it can be difficult at times to determine what caused something. Even now that I avoid dairy or take lactase enzymes, sometimes I come across something unexpected - like sandwich meat that contained caseins when most do not.
    Truzi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    May be the flue

I would try in a few weeks
    I did have the flue shot (4) and had the same thing on Sunday & Monday, but I did not mix any thing.

Good luck
    Dave

PS wait a few weeks for any long hikes

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The use of 'gas masks' can be hazardous unless properly fitted and tested. A badly fitted mask gives a false sense of security and can lead one to expose oneself to dangerous/hazardous fumes and dusts that one would otherwise stay away from if one did not use the mask.

My suggestion would be to make a simple fume hood for mixing chemicals.

Good luck tracking down the problem.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Peter, again, why 31 degrees C?
    A few degrees above the recommended mix temperature means it dissolves faster.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a sulfite allergy. It's not a contact allergy, only if I eat them. Sulfites are in all sorts of food - added and naturally occurring. The way I understand it, my liver is slow at processing sulfites. If I eat too many sulfites or too much food high in sulfur, it will build up in my system and I will have some sort of reaction. I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs.

I've never had a problem mixing X-Tol or working with Sodium Sulfite. I'm careful. I'm not going to put my head in the bucket while pouring in the chemicals.

For me, sodium metabisulfite is the worst. It gives me hives. If I eat enough of it, I get anaphylaxis. Sodium dioxide is bad, it will give me hives. Sodium sulfite will give me chest tightness and asthmatic symptoms. If I drink wine, that's what happens. Naturally occurring sulfites give me intestinal problems, usually very quickly. Aged cheese and most beers fall in this category. There are a variety of food additives and some high-sulfur foods I need to avoid.

It took twenty years to find out that I have an allergy. Now that I know and can avoid the problem foods, I've never felt better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsundevil View Post
    I have a sulfite allergy. It's not a contact allergy, only if I eat them. Sulfites are in all sorts of food - added and naturally occurring. The way I understand it, my liver is slow at processing sulfites. If I eat too many sulfites or too much food high in sulfur, it will build up in my system and I will have some sort of reaction. I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs.

I've never had a problem mixing X-Tol or working with Sodium Sulfite. I'm careful. I'm not going to put my head in the bucket while pouring in the chemicals.

For me, sodium metabisulfite is the worst. It gives me hives. If I eat enough of it, I get anaphylaxis. Sodium dioxide is bad, it will give me hives. Sodium sulfite will give me chest tightness and asthmatic symptoms. If I drink wine, that's what happens. Naturally occurring sulfites give me intestinal problems, usually very quickly. Aged cheese and most beers fall in this category. There are a variety of food additives and some high-sulfur foods I need to avoid.

It took twenty years to find out that I have an allergy. Now that I know and can avoid the problem foods, I've never felt better.
    Have you tried any of the 'natural' wines that do not contain sulphites?

Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    It took me quite some time to figure out I was lactose intolerant, which can give sudden bouts of certain things. Not saying this is your issue, just that it can be difficult at times to determine what caused something. Even now that I avoid dairy or take lactase enzymes, sometimes I come across something unexpected - like sandwich meat that contained caseins when most do not.
    Hi sorry about that & everyone is different I cannot be near kerosene (jet engine fuel, heating fuel, ).

but you need to be careful unless you have emergency medical intervention nearby eg estate sales of camera time... Id only mix photo chems out doors if I was OP.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've tried wine from one vineyard that tests for sulfites. I think the brand is Redwood. Their red wines say "no detectable sulfites". I haven't had any problems with any of their wines.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin