XTOL Part A in water - fume inhalation causing diarrhoea
I mixed up a fresh batch of XTOL last night in my darkroom, and after adding Part A (Phenidone+sodium sulphite) to the 31degC pure water then mixing for 5 mins, I had a sudden bout of diarrhoea !
I was wearing this gas mask with TWO of these organic gas filters, plus goggles and gloves.
I had my extraction fan plus ducted air-conditioning ventilation going full speed. Despite all my precautions I got mucosal irritation in my nose and throat and then diarrhoea ! I'm assuming the gas being liberated and inhaled was sulphurous acid. Both symptoms are documented side effects of exposure to sodium sulphite and sulphurous acid.
Clearly I need to do this in either a fume cupboard or outside again (like I used to).
Just a simple question: if you're allergic to fumes and powder developers, why don't you just use a liquid one?
That mixture will not cause your "symptom" unless it is injested, and perhaps not even then. It usually causes other symptoms in those who are allergic to Sulfite or Phenidone.
. I've never had that problem before and have always mixed my XTOL outside. Additionally I have way too much testing and experienced devoted to XTOL and it ticks all the other boxes.
Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao
I think you have something a bit more serious underlying there which cannot (conveniently or otherwise) be attributed to sulphorous acid of sulphite.
"Both symptoms are documented side effects of exposure to sodium sulphite and sulphurous acid."
“The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see." ~Edward Weston, 1922.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
while i don't use xtol anymore
i have never heard of anyone getting physically ill
from mixing it. i always used to like watching it
change colors when i mixed it
sorry to ask this, but might you have had something to eat or drink
previous to you mixing the chemistry ( like angry chicken ) that might
have picked a fight with other things in your system ?
Hi PE, an XTOL MSDS and one for sulphurous acid lists the two symptoms I experienced. I think the filters in my gas mask weren't working or the seal was not tight. I had the solution heated to about 31degC and could feel the fumes slightly acrid in my eyes as I didn't have sealing goggles on.
Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
Part A: Harmful if inhaled. Airborne dust irritating. May cause irritation to the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Some asthmatics or sulphite-sensitive individuals may experience wheezing, chest tightness,stomach upset, hives, faintness, weakness and diarrhea."
Not impossible but the timing was uncanny. I had nothing unusual or suspicious to eat that day and none of my other 4 family members had diarrhoea.
Originally Posted by jnanian
Your reference MSDS refers to injestion, not inhalation. See my previous post.
The inhalation comments in your second paragraph is more to the point. If you inhale it, you cough, sneeze and have difficulty breathing.
So, I maintain that if you had the symptoms you did, it was either ingestion or it was something you ate. If it was the dust being inhaled you would cough, sneeze, wheeze and perhaps have a swollen tongue and nasal passages, and perhaps difficulty swallowing. I have seen this.
Maybe you had better switch to Ilford DD-X, HC-110 or one of the other liquid developers. I have myself experienced a nasal irritation when mixing a certain developer and I know that is exactly what caused it. I learned my lesson the hard way. JohnW