Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,046   Online: 758

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

XTOL Part A in water - fume inhalation causing diarrhoea

I mixed up a fresh batch of XTOL last night in my darkroom, and after adding Part A (Phenidone+sodium sulphite) to the 31degC pure water then mixing for 5 mins, I had a sudden bout of diarrhoea !

I was wearing this gas mask with TWO of these organic gas filters, plus goggles and gloves.

I had my extraction fan plus ducted air-conditioning ventilation going full speed. Despite all my precautions I got mucosal irritation in my nose and throat and then diarrhoea ! I'm assuming the gas being liberated and inhaled was sulphurous acid. Both symptoms are documented side effects of exposure to sodium sulphite and sulphurous acid.

Clearly I need to do this in either a fume cupboard or outside again (like I used to).

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a simple question: if you're allergic to fumes and powder developers, why don't you just use a liquid one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That mixture will not cause your "symptom" unless it is injested, and perhaps not even then. It usually causes other symptoms in those who are allergic to Sulfite or Phenidone.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Just a simple question: if you're allergic to fumes and powder developers, why don't you just use a liquid one?
    . I've never had that problem before and have always mixed my XTOL outside. Additionally I have way too much testing and experienced devoted to XTOL and it ticks all the other boxes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Both symptoms are documented side effects of exposure to sodium sulphite and sulphurous acid."
    I think you have something a bit more serious underlying there which cannot (conveniently or otherwise) be attributed to sulphorous acid of sulphite.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi peter

while i don't use xtol anymore
    i have never heard of anyone getting physically ill
    from mixing it. i always used to like watching it
    change colors when i mixed it

sorry to ask this, but might you have had something to eat or drink
    previous to you mixing the chemistry ( like angry chicken ) that might
    have picked a fight with other things in your system ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That mixture will not cause your "symptom" unless it is injested, and perhaps not even then. It usually causes other symptoms in those who are allergic to Sulfite or Phenidone. PE
    Hi PE, an XTOL MSDS and one for sulphurous acid lists the two symptoms I experienced. I think the filters in my gas mask weren't working or the seal was not tight. I had the solution heated to about 31degC and could feel the fumes slightly acrid in my eyes as I didn't have sealing goggles on.

"Inhalation:
    Part A: Harmful if inhaled. Airborne dust irritating. May cause irritation to the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Some asthmatics or sulphite-sensitive individuals may experience wheezing, chest tightness,stomach upset, hives, faintness, weakness and diarrhea."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry to ask this, but might you have had something to eat or drink previous to you mixing the chemistry ( like angry chicken ) that might have picked a fight with other things in your system ?
    Not impossible but the timing was uncanny. I had nothing unusual or suspicious to eat that day and none of my other 4 family members had diarrhoea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your reference MSDS refers to injestion, not inhalation. See my previous post.

The inhalation comments in your second paragraph is more to the point. If you inhale it, you cough, sneeze and have difficulty breathing.

So, I maintain that if you had the symptoms you did, it was either ingestion or it was something you ate. If it was the dust being inhaled you would cough, sneeze, wheeze and perhaps have a swollen tongue and nasal passages, and perhaps difficulty swallowing. I have seen this.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe you had better switch to Ilford DD-X, HC-110 or one of the other liquid developers. I have myself experienced a nasal irritation when mixing a certain developer and I know that is exactly what caused it. I learned my lesson the hard way. JohnW

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin