Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,802   Online: 984

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ROAD TRIP

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Hey, thanks everyone! I'm not retiring by any means--more like going freelance, unless another academic post at a university comes along. Between my academic contacts and my contacts in the literary and publishing worlds, I've got plenty of work to do that I can do from pretty much anywhere, so when my wife got the offer in Hawai'i, I started lining up gigs, so we could make the move.

I won't be doing all of Route 66 (this is a cool version for fans of the song-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3TbSSI3hy8 ), just from Oklahoma City to Flagstaff before veering off to Vegas and then coming down to LA, but it's a good chunk.

Thanks for all the tips and keep them coming. I know where to go in Vegas and LA, but the in-between stops are more of a challenge.

And thanks for all the
    Well, David. Retiring or not... It's not EVERYONE that gets to go on such an adventurous excursion AND gets to document it too! Nevertheless, I AM jealous!

Have a blast! congrats and please post your trip! CHEERS!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Route 66? Damn, David...

My dream trip? The Mother Road all the way from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles. With a night also spent at the Wigwam Motel.
    I won't be doing all of Route 66 (this is a cool version for fans of the song-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3TbSSI3hy8 ), just from Oklahoma City to Flagstaff before veering off to Vegas and then coming down to LA, but it's a good chunk.
    Oklahoma City to Flagstaff?

Here you go then. If you'll be living in Hawaii, you may not get another chance. That's a LOT of water in between.

Wigwam Village Motel #6
    Holbrook, Arizona
    "Have You Slept in a Wigwam Lately?"

Google Maps Street View
    Note the period cars scattered across the parking lot.
    And the unloading tour bus behind the left-most teepee.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

A bit of preserved Americana at its finest...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-03-2014 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: A bit more...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wow, have a fantastic cross country drive ! too bad you didn't take the long way around and visit Toronto I'd be making a stop at Freestyle if I was behind the wheel lol

Shooter
    Large Format
    These days it may be better to just have film overnighted to your motel since most of the local camera stores are now gone. Pictureline in Salt Lake City used to do this (they once offered to have film shipped directly from their distributor to my Moab motel if I recall correctly), although these days they only list Delta 100 and HP5+ in 4x5 on their web site.

Sounds like an awesome trip, have a great time!

Shooter
    Large Format
    When shooting and traveling in the US I sleep in my truck. Walmart for safe sleeping, The flying J for fueling and showering, YMCA's for swimming and showering (sometimes even cheaper than the shower at the truck stop), Starbucks for wifi, clean bathrooms and changing out film holders in harrison tent, and fedex hubs for shipping film back to the lab and receiving orders. The hubs are all over the place, have long hours (even on weekends) and will safely hold your package for up to a week. Good luck and be safe!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a beautiful stretch of highway. There are places everywhere to stop and shoot. Don't miss the Painted Desrt/Petrified Forest. Worth the trip.

Check out some the local sites on the way for really interesting photo subjects. Little touristy things dot the route if you're willing to get off the beaten path once in a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best of luck on your next phase and your trip. You did tell the wife that you needed a 50's Corvette, right?

Don't forget that you can send usps mail as "Hold for pickup" to any PO. They will hold for up to 15 days. I believe you can also have the PO forward the box in case travel plans change. It can, however, tie you down in terms of schedule.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Motel darkroom setup, for those who might want to try this. For my timer, I'm using the "Massive Dev Chart" app on my iPhone, but it doesn't show in the photos, which are made with the very same iPhone.

The chems got really cold in the car, of course, so I'm warming them up to temperature in a sink full of hot water. I decided to go for 65F, instead of 68F, so I could pour the developer through the daylight cap, otherwise Acufine can have really short dev times. The negs look perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RT6, Motel6DK2.JPG   RT6, Motel6DK1.JPG  
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, what an awesome trip to be able to take! Glad you're having a great time and I hope that continues for the rest of the journey. The hotel darkroom pics are wonderful to see…especially the 4x5 negs drying in the closet. : )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Motel darkroom setup, for those who might want to try this...
    Do you use inversion agitation with your Nikor 4x5 tank? If so, do you have any problem with uneven development along the film edges closest to the center of the cage spirals? And along the top edges of the film sheets?

I ask this because when that tank is inverted the bubble of air under the lid must pass through that center hole in the cage top plate in order to rise. It then rises through the center of the tank, nearest to the center of those spirals holding the sheets. I have had problems with overdeveloped edges because of this internal cage geometry.

And turning the tank back upright then causes the air bubble to rise back to the top of the tank. Often not all of the air passes back up through that center top plate hole. Some of it remains trapped beneath the top plate, causing uneven bubble-driven underdevelopment along the film top edges.

Because there are no plates in a standard roll film spiral tank, these problems do not occur.

Also, I do use blank sheets of film in all empty spiral slots to assure even and repeatable solution flow during agitation. Additionally, I have also experimented with Edwal LFN to reduced developer solution bubbling for the second problem, with only partial success.

Any possible agitation tips for another Nikor 4x5 tank owner?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-04-2014 at 09:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin