Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,696   Online: 938

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Road Trip: 4x5" film and supplies along I-40

Hey folks--I've stepped down from my job at the Polish Cultural Institute in New York, and my family and I have been in the process of relocating to my wife's hometown of Honolulu. My wife and son are already out there, and the movers picked up our stuff on Dec. 30-31, and since it will take approximately 45 days for everything to arrive, and I have to ship the car from Long Beach, California, I've decided to take a road trip visiting friends and family and making some photographs along the way for about three weeks.

I've got my 4x5" Linhof Tech V and four lenses (75/90/150/360), about 70 sheets of film loaded (TXP and Efke PL100) and another 100 sheets of PL100, a couple of packs of Fuji Instant packfilm, and I also brought a Nikor daylight tank, a gallon of Acufine, a half gallon of fixer, and such so I can process in hotel bathrooms on the road.

Yesterday I was in Washington, DC, and then I met up with Thomas Sauerwein in Virginia to see the fantastic new studio and multi-process darkroom he's building, and now I'm in Durham, NC, staying with friends. The basic plan is to take I-40 west, maybe with a diversion to Kansas City, and then to follow historic Route 66 to about Flagstaff and then up to Las Vegas, where my mom lives, and to LA, where my sister is and where I have to drop off the car before flying to HNL.

I think I'm pretty well supplied, but say I want more 4x5" Tri-X or Fuji packfilm, or I need to replace the fixer, where might I stop wouldn't be too far out of the way (say within 90 minutes or so--I'm pretty flexible timewise)?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear David,

Have a really great trip sounds very exciting ......and hope the move to Honolulu goes well...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a fantastic trip, David! Hope you have a great time. =)

Have you considered shipping some film ahead to one of your predetermined stops?

All the best.
    Shawn

Shooter
    Large Format
    We did Fourty from mile zero at Barstow CA to Memphis in Septembe. Still HOT HOT. Williams turned out to be a bit too much altitude for my wife and COPD. Albuquerque to beyond Williams is above 6000 feet much of the way. If no issue with the altitude the Grand Canyon is just north of Williams.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    David...there is film in phoenix and right here in l.a.
    best,peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    you are welcome to use my darkroom right here in los angeles if you need!!
    best,peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is (was?) a photo store in downtown Flagstaff -- I had 120 B&W processed there in 1977 when I was working at the Grand Canyon. I realize that this info is probably of zero use to you, but it gives me the excuse to wish you a great trip and much luck in your new home!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lucky stiff. Enjoy the retirement. Looks like the day I can "step down" from this nasty printing press will be the day I "step up" to heaven. And if they have presses there, I'll know I ended up at the wrong place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    your visit with thomas sounds like it was a blast !
    did he make a construction with YOU ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic trip, David! Hope you have a great time. =)

Have you considered shipping some film ahead to one of your predetermined stops?

All the best.
    Shawn
    +1
    i wish i lived near i-40
    id hoard supplies for you
    feed you a warm meal and
    crafted beer and coffee
    send you on your way ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flagstaff store that had 4X5 and 120 film closed last winter, Rollies Camera in Sedona (25mi? south of Flagstaff) used to carry a good selection. Sedona is certainly worth a side trip on it's own.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin