Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 731

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Second Developing Attempt: Still Purple

I just finished up with my second developing of my own film. Still Kodak Tri-X in D-76, 1:1. This time I did a pre-soak stage, soaking the film in 20 C water for 3 mins. No agitation here, just soaking.

After developing, stopping, fixing, and then washing, I find that my film still has the purple color to it. The negatives look great otherwise.

I know that this is not a serious flaw, yet I still want to improve and get my negatives as clear as when they come back from a pro lab.

What else can I do to clear away this purple color? Should I agitate during the pre-soak? Should I do more than one pre-soak?

Finally, I'm told that these purple negatives will print well, but will they scan well too? I need to send my negatives out for scanning and I dont know if this purple color will confuse them.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should use a washing agent (hypo-clear). How long are you washing?

The slight purple is no big deal at all though you do want to make sure your negatives are fixed properly. Is your fixer fresh? If so, I would just add a wash aid to your procedure, wash for 10 minutes and call it a day.

The negs will not confuse your lab. They will scan fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't worry about it. They all come out a little purple for the most part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    You should use a washing agent (hypo-clear). How long are you washing?

The slight purple is no big deal at all though you do want to make sure your negatives are fixed properly. Is your fixer fresh? If so, I would just add a wash aid to your procedure, wash for 10 minutes and call it a day.

The negs will not confuse your lab. They will scan fine.
    I'm not using a hypo-clear chemical.

I'm using the Ilford method to wash, plus an additional fill and 20 inversions.

My fixer, Kodafix, has only seen 1 roll of film through it, now 2 rolls.

When I dumped out the pre-soak water it was VERY purple.

The developer, stop bath, fixer, and washes all dumped out clear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Trust me RM--you're fine. You did everything right. You don't have a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Trust me RM--you're fine. You did everything right. You don't have a problem.
    Thanks for the assurance! I guess I just look at the negatives I get back from the lab. They are so colorless!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wash mine for 40-45 minutes. Gets rid of most of the purple.

Shooter
    Large Format
    They don't use D-76 in those big machines. They use harsher chemistry. Frankly I can't explain the lingering purple of home-developed film, but I've almost always had it. The only thing I've learned from my years is that the pre-wash water always pours out dark, and developer does not, if I don't pre-wash. So that means either the development "sets the stain", or there's some kind of chemical reaction going on. But the fact remains that the pre-wash water pour out nasty and dark, an the film comes out less purple. After that, don't worry about it. I think it fades a little in time. Always more purple when fresh out of the tank, wet.
    You don't have a problem, you did just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need not worry about a magenta tinge to your negatives.

And like as not, the commercial labs probably use something similar to D-76 in a replenishment regime. What they do do though (if they are any good) is control the chemistry carefully, including things like ph, and wash quite thoroughly. They probably use treated water as well.

I never have problems with pink/magenta negatives, but I'm blessed with excellent tap water, I do pre-soak, I use replenished HC-110, I use stop bath, I use two stage rapid fixer, I use hypo clearing agent and I use a ten minute running water wash.

I list these things not because any particular one is a solution, but rather to point out that there are all sorts of variables that can influence the result.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes I agree everything you're doing is fine. I would recommend a hypo-clearing agent in addition to your procedure. It will help wash your film and also remove a bit more of that purple. Other than that don't stress the tint.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin