Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my favorite rc paper is probably ilford portfolio
    it is thick like double weight paper, and is a dream to print on ..
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    my favorite rc paper is probably ilford portfolio
    it is thick like double weight paper, and is a dream to print on ..
    Another portfolio admirer here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Possible causes for deterioration of PE-based prints in contrast to prints made on classic paper:

-) the deterioration of plain PE due to UV-light

-) un unwanted catalytic effect of the TiO2 within the PE on this

-) the absence of a baryta-/paper-sink for forming and migrating salts

This does not mean that it will happen, but these are the critical issues discussed in the past. There are preventive means against all three.
    +1

Those who are not familiar with what AgX is talking about should start by downloading this -

http://ctein.com/PostExposure2ndIllustrated.pdf

- and reading pages 158-167.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oren, I understand you use mostly RC now. What's your take on RC stability? Do you tone your prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An article by Ctein states that overwashing can cause bronzing of B&W prints. Some minute amount of hypo left in the print stabilizes it to deterioration. It may also be referenced in Post Exposure.

PE

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sircarl View Post
    I know this topic has been done to death, but I thought I'd report on an interesting personal experience.

Just today I removed from their frames six RC prints of mine, produced in my darkroom on 12 X 16 Ilford Multigrade IV Pearl RC. They have been in frames in our two Philadelphia houses over the past three years, WITHOUT any glass or plexi covering -- because I prefer to exhibit them that way, but also because I had read somewhere online that RC prints can suffer if confined behind a cover. (Something about urban gases being trapped there, eating away at the print surface.) For two years they were hung in fairly subdued light, but this past year they were in a very bright location, with the sun actually shining directly on some of them for a couple of hours a day.

As it happens, I have virtually identical prints of these same photos, done at the same enlarger settings and processed in the same way, stored in an archival box. So I compared the prints removed from the frames with these boxed prints.

There was absolutely no difference.

Obviously, this is a particular set of circumstances, and I realize that RC prints exhibited in other circumstances may show deterioration over time. But I personally have never found any such deterioration, even in my prints done over ten years ago (all on the same paper). YMMV.
    I have some experience withat because I moved from house to house quite a bit in the last 20 years. from my experience i can say:
    the worst for printsRCor FB(butespecially Agfa and KodakRC)are fresh wall paintsand new carpets. I narrowed the problem further downfurther.in mycase deterioration happened to RC ore likely than FB but never to either of them even if onlymildly toned in poly sulphide.Now toning is part of my standard workflow.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Poly)sulphide toners are best but Viradon new is no longer available (I understand it's been banned). What would be a suitable alternative, something from Moersch perhaps?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Oren, I understand you use mostly RC now. What's your take on RC stability? Do you tone your prints?
    The short version is that I think it's much more stable than many people give it credit for, but not so stable as we'd ideally prefer. But sweeping generalizations can be misleading - the details of how it's processed, displayed and stored are very important. I now tone all of my RC "keepers" with selenium. I don't mind, because the extra process step is not too much of a burden with RC, and because for my taste most RC emulsions look better with light to moderate selenium toning anyway.

I suspect the biggest long-term issue is the inherent stability of the PE layer and its adherence to the paper base, under long-term display or storage in environments that are poorly controlled for temperature and humidity - which is to say, the kind of environment where most of our prints will end up if they're saved at all.

It should be noted that the long-term stability of current FB papers is also an open question. We know almost nothing about the characteristics of the paper that is used, and whether and in what ways it has changed from papers used in the past. Long-term survival of prints made on FB papers many years ago may not tell us much about the stability of FB papers manufactured today.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    (Poly)sulphide toners are best but Viradon new is no longer available (I understand it's been banned). What would be a suitable alternative, something from Moersch perhaps?
    IthoughtViradon was available again from new Agfa or foto Impex in Berlinother than that any sulphide or poly sulphide toner will work.you can also make your own
    BasicRecipesEd2.pdfif you are lucky enough to find liver of sulfer anywhere.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    None of the current Ilford RC papers contain developer. Only the long discontinued rapid papers did.
    Thanks for this info. I will check this out with very simple test one day. what I meant this inclusion of developer in early RC paper earned the negative rap for them from "real" photographers. I have one friend locally, who will not touch RC, and because I am using RC 95 % of the time, he keeps me in "lower echelon" of the craft. My stock of Berger RC paper is around 700 of 8X10, you can see my commitment.
    But since we speaking about it, comparing Berger Prestige RC/VCM to current Ilford RC papers I see great difference in processing. Berger needs 4x more exposure and 2.5x more time in developer than Ilford. Berger will not develop in spent developer, while Ilford has no problems. How to explain that ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin