Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,912   Online: 1084

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you PE. No further questions

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As the OP I have followed this discussion with interest. I really thought I was beating a dead horse! I guess the RC longevity question is as unsettled as ever -- and I'm surprised to learn some people are questioning FB longevity, which I always thought had been settled long ago. Anyway, I wrote in only because I was so pleased to learn that my RC prints had held up well in less than ideal conditions. While I know this is only anecdotal evidence, I'd be interested in reading posts from other APUG members from time to time about their ongoing experiences -- good or bad -- with RC prints. As some here have suggested, RC may have gotten a bum rap in its early, bad old days that it has never been able to live down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some of the earliest Kodak RC papers here stored in different conditions for up to 40 years. Everything is just fine with them. I've also seen the losers and the winners in real tests. We all are fortunate to have some of the best RC papers available to us and they have been this stable for the life of some of you.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I've had some of the earliest Kodak RC papers here stored in different conditions for up to 40 years. Everything is just fine with them. I've also seen the losers and the winners in real tests. We all are fortunate to have some of the best RC papers available to us and they have been this stable for the life of some of you.

PE
    photographers fade faster than their photographs
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very true Ralph. But, I have B&W going back 2 or 3 generations and color 2. So, I still have photos and my children and grandchildren have seen them so add 2 more generations.

The earliest one I have goes to the era of President Grant.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two mounted, framed (under glass) 8x10s I did in the early 90s printed on whatever Ilford MG was current then - III? Both were developed in LPD, fixed in Kodafix as specified for RC paper, toned in selenium 1+19 or so and washed per RC paper directions. Both are showing deterioration, in both cases mainly around the edges near the matt, making me wonder if the mount/matt has something to do with it, but one has discoloration far in from the edge. It's sort of a pinkish purple discoloring, much like selenium toning over done but lighter (it isn't that - all I saw was a very slight cooling and increase in d-max.)

I don't know WHY they are doing this, and certainly don't claim it's anything to do with the paper. I just don't know. Mounted under glass? Something in my long-ago processing that wasn't up to snuff? Dunno. I'll try to take some close up digisnaps to post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, I have an 11x14 RC print on Ektacolor Plus paper from about 1980 mounted on a board as yours is and the matt board is glued to a stained wood frame. It is open to air.

The RC is showing no deterioration, nor is the color print. Of course, mine is color but then with all of the complaints about color, I just thought I would throw this in as an example.

I also have a number of 16x20s, mounted the same and on display at one of the local schools. These are a mix of color and B&W, and they are about 15 years old. No change there. Also, no toning.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know lots of people have had no problems. I had to have these mounted and framed for entry in a show (first and only one I'd done until two years ago, about to have one print in a show this weekend...) and I just took them to a frame shop in the mall. I don't exactly how they did it or what materials they used. I do recall something about low heat for RC. They are 8x10 mounted on 11x14 boards and framed 11x14. I'll take some closeups when I get a chance.

My point isn't to trash RC paper at all. I'd just like to figure out what's happening to these two. Fortunately (I'm pretty sure) I still have those negatives and could reprint them. In fact I think that would be a cool little project, to see if I could do better today. Both are 35mm. One is on XP2 or XP1 or whatever the version was then. The other I don't remember, except that with the grain I'm reasonably sure it isn't Tri-X. Could be Plus-X. I'll have to dig out the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Roger, I have an 11x14 RC print on Ektacolor Plus paper from about 1980 mounted on a board as yours is and the matt board is glued to a stained wood frame. It is open to air.

The RC is showing no deterioration, nor is the color print. Of course, mine is color but then with all of the complaints about color, I just thought I would throw this in as an example.

I also have a number of 16x20s, mounted the same and on display at one of the local schools. These are a mix of color and B&W, and they are about 15 years old. No change there. Also, no toning.

PE
    Let's not forget that RC has the process insensitivity advantage oover FB.for example . It's hard to under fix or underwash RC;much easier to go wrong withFB;not advocating to be sloppy;just saying.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    None of this makes me less of a skeptic. I've used RC materials for commecial portfolios, and they've remained OK in that state, but I'm certain
    I wouldn't want them for display purposes. Maybe it's just the fact that I open some of those same portfolios and the equivalent RC color chromogenic prints of the same vintage aren't looking so good after twenty years, while all my Cibas and black and white fiber-based prints look
    like they were made yesterday. Not fair... but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wash my fiber prints for an hour anyway, after TF4.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin