Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,906   Online: 999

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Ilford says ''Color file is unsatisfactory for panchro bw paper''

I downloaded ilford ilfospeed and gallerie digital bw panchro paper fact sheets and it says :

Black and White prints can be made directly from colour
    digital files although the results are often unsatisfactory
    unless the file is first converted to greyscale. We would
    therefore recommend colour files be converted to
    Greyscale, prior to printing. The smaller files made by
    discarding the colour information are also much quicker to
    RIP and write. There is another advantage to doing this,
    as some colour originals printed straight to Black & White
    do not make suitable or interesting images without some
    adjustment to their contrast or density.

If we can not print color image on panchro bw paper , what is the point of making panchro paper ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    The first few paragraphs of the datasheet give a hint to its purpose:

GALERIE RC DIGITAL SILVER has been designed using the very latest black and white silver halide emulsion technology. It has spectral sensitivity and exposure characteristics specially suited to optical digital exposure systems with tricolour laser enlargers or LED systems produced by Durst, Océ, Pollielettronica, Fuji and others.

GALERIE RC DIGITAL SILVER has excellent contrast, sharpness and surface finish that will give superb continuous tone black and white images or text from digital files prepared from either black and white or colour film negatives or positives, prints and digital originals. The results are equal to those seen when using conventional black and white printing materials and exposing equipment.
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Hexavalent , my mother is making cake and I am running between computer and kitchen.

Now the big question , how we can improve our bw prints via colored digital inkjet or analog negatives ? May be printing some areas different color shades , effecting some tones with different colors could improve our control on that panchro papers via these negatives.

And what about ortho papers , stained negatives improves and our multicolor stained where these stains optimized to spectrum of papers , could open a new possibility ?

I dont think amateurs could buy these digital printers but some film staining inks or printer .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    The first few paragraphs of the datasheet give a hint to its purpose:

GALERIE RC DIGITAL SILVER has been designed using the very latest black and white silver halide emulsion technology. It has spectral sensitivity and exposure characteristics specially suited to optical digital exposure systems with tricolour laser enlargers or LED systems produced by Durst, Océ, Pollielettronica, Fuji and others.

GALERIE RC DIGITAL SILVER has excellent contrast, sharpness and surface finish that will give superb continuous tone black and white images or text from digital files prepared from either black and white or colour film negatives or positives, prints and digital originals. The results are equal to those seen when using conventional black and white printing materials and exposing equipment.

The first statement in the quotation given by Umut contradicts these other statements above. In this Umut is right.

Concerning colour contrast filters:
    They are not used in laser etc. line-exposure. And when one modifies the colours in the data files then of course one could make a greyscale file from the beginning. But then again the question arises, why make panchro material for laser exposure?

In classical optical printing though one can use colour contrast filters and here panchro paper makes sense.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have been using this process for years.
    Our Lab was the first lab worldwide to offer Digital fibre Murals on Silver Gelatin Paper, we started with Agfa Classic which is not panchromatic.
    The Paper Harman introduced latter has an extended red sensitivity.

I am not sure why, other than the red sensitivity may have been needed for the laser exposure to work. I think here lies your answer.

I work exclusively with the Harmon Paper for laser and exposure, I do not make RC prints though and that is consistent with my enlarger work.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's 'panchromatic' because it is designed to work with exposure systems using Red, Green and Blue lasers; not because it's designed for color film exposure with white light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Another good point , I think it does make useless to try to invent on that paper. Thank you Prof.Pixel.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    It's 'panchromatic' because it is designed to work with exposure systems using Red, Green and Blue lasers; not because it's designed for color film exposure with white light.
    But still it is advised by Ilford to make geyscale files. To me then that special paper makes no sense aside of gaining speed.

And such an approach is also employed with classical photographic paper and no-one speaks of ortho-paper or such...

Shooter
    35mm

obvious

It seems pretty obvious this product was manufactured for digital files, not film negatives. It is very okay if Ilford makes this product although I will not be using it myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We get panned for taking about scanning, so why has this any thing to do with APUG?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin