Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,456   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I've got a good app on my ipod called 'Develop!' that is great for films. Tried it in the darkroom, not so good, that screen's bright and fogged my paper something chronic. But I can still use the same app, set it to interval timer and beep every second indefinitely, then put it somewhere I can hear it and the light won't get out. Works pretty much the same as the metronome...
    So you don't use an enlarger timer? You switch it on and off manually?
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydebruyne View Post
    I have no clue about which developer, stop and fix to use. I'm assuming they are different to the film development chemicals?

Any pointers would be gratefully received.
    Whilst you can use Ilford's PQ Universal for both film and paper developing, most will recommend separate batches of dev & fix. To start with, I'd suggest going for D76 for film and Ilford Multigrade developer for paper. You can use the same fixer for both films and paper, just mixed to different strengths (Amfix is dirt cheap).

As you are in London, I would certainly point you in the direction of Silverprint.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a lot of people do, but its easier to have a timer that switches the enlarger on and off automatically. A quick search on that well known auction site for "enlarger timer" throws up a few. The jessops/patterson digital timers will probably go for not too much. I sold a couple of philips timers a while back and they sold for ~£25

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I think a lot of people do, but its easier to have a timer that switches the enlarger on and off automatically. A quick search on that well known auction site for "enlarger timer" throws up a few. The jessops/patterson digital timers will probably go for not too much. I sold a couple of philips timers a while back and they sold for ~£25
    Haha I'm probably the one watching both of those timers I'm hoping to get the Jessops, looks in better nick!

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't forget Sprint. The print developer is liquid, easy to dilute, and lasts well. I've been using it for more than two years with Multigrade Pearl RC and it does just what I need.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    Don't forget Sprint. The print developer is liquid, easy to dilute, and lasts well. I've been using it for more than two years with Multigrade Pearl RC and it does just what I need.
    I've just bought 5ltrs of the Bromophen so maybe I'll try that next

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So nearly everything has been ordered! All I need now really is a timer... *excited*
    While time is important for films it is less so for papers. Since prints are developed to completion it is better to watch the print rather than the timer. There is a point during print development when changes to the print slow down dramatically. It is at this point where development can be stopped. I usually give the print a few seconds more time in the developer but that is my preference.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm hoping to get the Jessops, looks in better nick
    yes looks OK! You can get these new here http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...enlarger-timer Prices are all over the place on things like this - just depends how lucky you get. ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Paper Developer Chemicals, Which Ones?

Yeah, 80pounds is a tad out my price range for a timer.. I'm hoping the auction won't rocket at the last minute!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first set up the darkroom I did it manually, for one print, until it annoyed me enough to go searching for a timer (I got the whole setup gifted to me in very dirty cardboard boxes from storage). There was an inline timer in there to switch the light on and off, so now I use that. I still use the 1s-beep metronome app for test-strips, counting them is easier with it...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin