Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,108   Online: 1233

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Paper Developer Chemicals, Which Ones?

Very soon I'm going to start printing my own negatives.

I'll be using Ilford multigrade IV Pearl paper printing B&W prints.

I have no clue about which developer, stop and fix to use. I'm assuming they are different to the film development chemicals?

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Cheers
    Jay
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only the developer is different for papers vs films. Use a print developer like Kodak Dektol or Ilford Bromophen.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Only the developer is different for papers vs films. Use a print developer like Kodak Dektol or Ilford Bromophen.
    +1

Although you can use fixer at a higher dilution (eg 1 + 9 vs 1 + 4)- which works particularly well for RC paper. The fixer instructions will explain.

For clarity, while you can work from the same initial product, you should not use exactly the same liquid for both film and prints.

As an example, I am currently working through a 5 litre bottle of Ilford Hypam fixer.

For film, I mix up a 1.25 litre bottle of working strength (1 + 4) film fixer that I use and re-use appropriately for film. When I have used up the film fixer's capacity, it gets donated to friends who reclaim the silver from it.

For prints, I mix up what I need each time, using a 1 + 9 dilution. At the end of each session, I either discard the fixer or, if I have used it to near capacity (rare) I add it to the fixer that goes to my friends who reclaim the silver from it.

The working strength film fixer is never used for prints, and the working strength print fixer is never used for films.

You may want to use your stop bath at a higher dilution as well - it smells less.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I went to buy my first bottle, the guy behind the desk didn't know much so I just grabbed the Multigrade liquid dev.
    The next time I was in the shop his more knowledgable (boss/partner?) was in there, so I asked him the difference between Multigrade and Bromophen, he said that the Bromophen was slightly warmer. I'll check out Bromophen next when the Multigrade is finished.
    But yeah, apparently there's not as much difference as you get differences in film developers.

For the rest I'm just using Ilfostop and Rapid Fixer, hasn't done me any harm yet...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LPD
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use dektol, then water, then tf5 fixer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bromophen it is

So nearly everything has been ordered! All I need now really is a timer... *excited*

Thanks for all the help, it's very much appreciated.

Jay
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Since I prefer neutral to cool, I use Eukobrom from Tetenal for my developer. As for the other chemicals, it's explained above much better than I can give you.

For timing, I use an online metronome played loud enough to hear and use that. I set it to 60BPM, and count beats. Of course, I don't have a real darkroom, so my workflow is slightly different from most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    For timing, I use an online metronome played loud enough to hear and use that. I set it to 60BPM, and count beats.
    I've got a good app on my ipod called 'Develop!' that is great for films. Tried it in the darkroom, not so good, that screen's bright and fogged my paper something chronic. But I can still use the same app, set it to interval timer and beep every second indefinitely, then put it somewhere I can hear it and the light won't get out. Works pretty much the same as the metronome...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I've got a good app on my ipod called 'Develop!' that is great for films. Tried it in the darkroom, not so good, that screen's bright and fogged my paper something chronic. But I can still use the same app, set it to interval timer and beep every second indefinitely, then put it somewhere I can hear it and the light won't get out. Works pretty much the same as the metronome...
    I'll have to look into it. Do they make it for the Android? My wife plays her TFC so loud, that it can be difficult to hear the metronome.

I like having the tick every second for timing prints. It's also great for the way I develop film in trays. I tried a couple apps for my tablet, but several settings couldn't be adjusted.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin