Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 750

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lhalcong View Post
    I like the feeling of the print. It seems to me like it turned a mundane scene into something to look at. I'd like to know, the tone on the picture, is that the natural tone of the paper, or was that tone introduced by the scanner.? I also like the resolution and detail. did you scan the print or the film , What did you scan it with ?
    Hi,

It's impossible for me to know what tone you're looking at on your monitor so I'd take it as indicative rather than definitive. What I can say is that it's a scan of the print and there was just a little sharpening applied. The scanner is an old Epson 3200 flatbed. I scanned it as a colour file and checked the tone on the monitor (iMac) against the print. The print looked warmer so I adjusted the colour temperature in Lightroom to match the two as closely as I could. It's not an exact science -at least where I'm concerned - but I felt the scans were quite faithful to the originals. Hope that helps.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bruce,

Definitely love your site, keep up the good work.

I've been working with Ilford Classic for a couple weeks now, pretty happy so far. You can see my first print here. I'm itching to try the warmtone next!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When Ilford RC Cooltone first came out the instructions advised that to achieve an enhanced cold tone the development time should be extended from 2 to 3 minutes. I was wondering if this was the same for the fibre version.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can someone tell me if there's a way of editing posts here? I just realised I posted the url of my home page for this review rather than the actual review page url. I was going to change it to stop wasting people's time should they click on it after today and get a different article.

The review url is: http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/201...one-first.html
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Apologies for forgetting to reply, Simon. It's good to know that Ilford are keeping an eye on what people are saying about their products. You must be pretty pleased with the general response to FC Classic and FB Cooltone. I don't think I've seen a bad word about either paper - other than the fact that they don't lith. But nobody's perfect.
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Adrian - some extension of dev time with the FB Cooltone definitely seems to help, that is, at the same dev dilution. I certainly haven't tried anything like premature "snatch" dev with this paper yet. But for a good DMax, more prints seem to need around 3 min rather than 2, which is
    typical for most analogous papers. I have always varied paper dev times and temp depending on exact circumstances, but in this case it does
    generally seem to need a bit longer.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I just ended my first DR session with Classic.

1. Classic is much faster than MGIV. #2. My test prints show rich blacks....there seems to be a sense of crispness I don't recall with MGIV. 3. Just looking at the prints in the water hold bath...no reason to miss MGIV. 4. Classic's image tone is slightly more neutral than MGIV using PQ paper developer; many people may not notice.

After printing a few Classic 8x10s from small format I tried to match test strips from my remaining two sheets of 2 year old MGIV. Values way off due to the paper speed. At this point I ran out of time.

Besides my 4 points, I adjusted projection time 20% moving from Ilford's #2 filter to a #1.5. This was totally unexpected and needs additional hands on time to validate.

The image forms around 30-35s. I suspect Classic has incorporated developer. Developer incorporated papers have less shelf life from my experience.

When I have more time and find the right neg I'm interested in a Galerie vs Classic comparison. I think Galerie may have smoother, richer mid tones.

I like the genuine silver gelatin stickers Harman/Ilford packaged inside Classic. It's a silly, little thing...but we print with fibre to achieve the highest print quality. A silver gelatin print deserves the distinction.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-11-2014 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I just ended my first DR session with Classic.

1. Classic is much faster than MGIV. #2. My test prints show rich blacks....there seems to be a sense of crispness I don't recall with MGIV. 3. Just looking at the prints in the water hold bath...no reason to miss MGIV. 4. Classic's image tone is slightly more neutral than MGIV using PQ paper developer; many people may not notice.

After printing a few Classic 8x10s from small format I tried to match test strips from my remaining two sheets of 2 year old MGIV. Values way off due to the paper speed. At this point I ran out of time.

Besides my 4 points, I adjusted projection time 20% moving from Ilford's #2 filter to a #1.5. This was totally unexpected and needs additional hands on time to validate.

The image forms around 30-35s. I suspect Classic has incorporated developer. Developer incorporated papers have less shelf life from my experience.

When I have more time and find the right neg I'm interested in a Galerie vs Classic comparison. I think Galerie may have smoother, richer mid tones.

I like the genuine silver gelatin stickers Harman/Ilford packaged inside Classic. It's a silly, little thing...but we print with fibre to achieve the highest print quality. A silver gelatin print deserves the distinction.
    Thanks for that, Richard.
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I suspect Classic has incorporated developer. Developer incorporated papers have less shelf life from my experience.
    Do you mean the prints potential archival qualities will be lessened over time? Or that the unexposed paper itself will expire faster than MGIV?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Unexposed paper with incorporated developer has a shorter self life. When I printed with Agfa Multi-classic the paper did not last much longer than 2/3 years and would degrade. I understood Harman (Ilford) has not had paper with incorporated developer.
    RJ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin